analogue step sequencer

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Berlin Heritage

Re: analogue step sequencer

Post by Berlin Heritage » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

I highly recommend the pure analogue step sequencer A-155 from Doepfer, especially in combination with a sequential switch (A-151) to switch between the two sequencer rows. Of course, it is a not a stand-alone version, but a part of Doepfer's modular system. Doepfer's Dark Time is the stand-alone unit developed from the A-155.

Another great step sequencer I can recommend is Manikin's Schrittmacher, although it is a pure digital MIDI machine. But its behaviour is like an analogue step sequencer.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Other than the iOS apps we've already discussed in the forum, i have enjoyed using Yamaha's Tenori-On as a step sequencer http://www.global.yamaha.com/tenori-on/ - it has transpose and lots of other great functions across 16 channels, as well as being a synth and sample player... since nobody appears to have talked about it I figured I would mention it.
There are a few different hardware models and even a very moderately priced iOS version

Lately have become intrigued with the ORB from FutureRetro — is anybody using it?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm loving the makenoise rene. It's an ubersequencer!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 am

Revolution over the Orb. DIN & MIDI along with CV/Gate. And a 303 emulation to boot.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

jbeaver

Post by jbeaver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

I'm using Octatrack both as a sequencer and as a sampler

JamesWoods

Post by JamesWoods » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am

EricK wrote:Image
Moon modular.com thru noisebug.net (Trigger sequencer)
3-position toggle switch for trigger/mute/reset
12-position rotary encoder for semitones/chords
3-position toggle switch for transpositions
control for second parameter (i.e. filter)
control for third parameter (i.e. volume) or gate/step length
3-position toggle switch for audio/CV routing between 2 busses and individual input/ouput jacks
its not a bad choice ,good one......
Singing Lessons London

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 04, 2013 12:17 am

I promised to jot down some additional info on the 8-Step so here it is; you'll need to jump over to Muff's in order to read it (not sure if the pictures will show up unless you have a logon there); It's a great forum. But you'll see of my observations of the product, the Gate-out mod that I competed earlier today, and some of what I'll be tackling next.

The reason why I'm placing it into this thread and not in the various 8-step threads is simply because I view the 8-step as a full featured but low-cost sequencer; so those looking for sequencer information will inevitably find this thread.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 am

I've read that through, thank you so much EMwhite :)

Well, I think I'm gonna grab one of these babies before they are out of stock. One of the big stores in EU is already waiting its second batch, june 10th they said :/

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Revolution is a trip for sure - I am slowly figuring it out
Answering my own questions on the zero activity group list about it - I figured out writing copying transposing and mangling up patterns in Remix mode -- but the "song" mode is what is puzzling me- at the moment, maybe drum machine SONGS work like this -stitching patterns together? I never figured them out either --

Meanwhile using two more traditional step sequencers Oberkorn and a Dark Time and love the heck out of both - but very different then either Ternori or Revolution - I wonder if people can use them with the same accuracy? Ie you can shift pitch but you have to use your ears to do it! :lol:
Please Call Me, PETE

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu May 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Song mode is just a chaining of patterns on most drum machines. Revolution included. The manual .pdf is free on the fr site.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm

yep thanks ~ i also got TWO hardcopy copies with the instrument ~ one bound and one with a binder clip
PLUS i have the pdf in my iPAD and I have rtfmed all of them many MANY times — still slow-going :?
i think it is setting the loop point which is screwing me up at the moment and making it not behave the way i hope. will just have to keep plugging away i guess :lol:

more accustomed to making changes in real time live — but I would love to nail it down to drive the Taurus or the Minitaur and free my hands up for to play other sequencers and actual keyboard
Just Me wrote:Song mode is just a chaining of patterns on most drum machines. Revolution included. The manual .pdf is free on the fr site.
Please Call Me, PETE

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Pittsburg Modular has a nice 8-step sequencer for $139.00 at Analouge Haven http://www.analoguehaven.com/pittsburgh ... sequencer/ you'd still need a case/power supply: http://www.analoguehaven.com/pittsburghmodular/cell48/

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 am

CountingToes wrote:the 119 looks great tho i prefer the layout of the 960, only problem is its just 8 steps, and I think ill need 3 sets of 16, much like the maq or the oberkorn mk3, i prefer the look of the oberkorn and the fact there isnt a digi display, the sam is perfect but 2k is just tooo much, think i might have to get saving the pennies
The 119 has a 24 step mode. The real drawback to the 119 is the lack if individual trigger per step. The 960 can be expanded to 24 steps via additional modules. There is also a Club of the Knobs Trigger Sequencer that is awesome for controlling the 960. They are a killer addition to controlling a Voyager (or anything else for that matter.)

ebo

Post by ebo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 am

Korg SQ 10 ,
A & B outs with -5V to +5V ,working well with the Freqbox, freq cv in -5v to +5v
and Voyager CV in -5V to +5V

http://youtu.be/YNzS1XtKE_s

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

EMwhite wrote: The q119 is awesome (value) but has zero gate on/off/skip capability so you'll need a trigger sequencer also
This is only partially correct ... it doesn't have a gate on/off/skip per step. It has a gate per row and global gate as well as a global on/off with a couple of modes. So yes, it works best with a trigger sequencer.