Re: Minimoog Model D Overdrive Trick

Post by Hooch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:16 am

So does anyone with a vintage get a weird modulated overdrive
with this trick?
I have a re issue D and it's very touchy. It's very subtle then you get
to a point where it just goes berserk. Almost blasted FM sound that
modulates between 2 tones at a medium slow tempo. Very distorted like
a guitar amp that starts making a tone on its own due to a failure and
some part of the amp starts oscillating at around 200-300 hertz.
It does not sound anything like good nor is it controllable.

The overload light barely cracks to full brightness when this happens.
I've tried various gain stages.
It does it with the prewired normal and using a patch cord.
It does it using any of the outputs. High, low, and headphones.
The pitch of the oscillators or the filter do not change it other than attenuating
the energy needed to get to that point.

I've read now that others are finding this too.
I'm not sure if this is normal so I ask you brother and sisters
what this should be doing.
I can hear slight saturation before the overload light comes on
but every photo I see of the mini has that light on.
And it's trumpeted in the manual as a feature.
And I'm thinking no way can that be usable. At all.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Hooch

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:23 am

I only have an old model-d
I only connect the low out with the ext in
Maybe on the new ones don't connect anything as it's prewired already, don't double up
The light should not be on all the time , just put it so that on certain parts of the keyboard it b.e. Goes on only on the attack phase
That should do the trick

The other transendent effects you discribe probably are due to a too high level, bit like a roundsinging guitar and amp. sounds interesting if you look for it maybe :-), don't think you can break anything though

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am

I did this on an old Model D years ago, but that unit is ruined these days, and I have yet to receive the new one.

But, I have done this on my Voyager and indeed it goes nuts easily. Its very difficult to tame :twisted:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Hooch

Post by Hooch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 pm

To me it sounds like the amp feedback is self oscillating and
there is a bit of gated stepping.
Since you have no control over that self oscillation, it doesn't change
No matter what you do.

I was under the impression that this was preamp into preamp overdrive.
That would just get dirtier and dirtier.
This seams like a feedback loop that just speaks through until BAM!
Just like over the top guitar amp feed back.

Hooch

MC

Post by MC » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm

It is very effective with percussive envelopes on the VCA which can pack a serious transient punch.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Hooch

Post by Hooch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Perhaps so.
Right now to me it's not usable for much.
The effect is very subtle. Then it goes wacky.
I was hoping for controlable warmth with a touch of frying eggs.
Seasoned to taste.

Hooch

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:57 am

On the voyager the effect never was as nice and controlable as on the old model-d
More as if it was not phased well and thereby rather thinning out the sound then fattening it , and i deed less controllable
Hardly use it on the voyager, often use it on the model-d old
Therefor i specifically asked for info on how it works on the model-d new
Wonder if it has anything to do with the quality of the vca ?
Having said this: on the old ones most of the time the ext- in pot doesn't exceed value 3 and has to be adjusted when changes are made in the sound or overall volume
I have no experience yet with a new model-d

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:17 am

On the new Model D feedback effect is a bit underwhelming. I mistakenly thought it would sound like it does on my Sub 37 which has a very nice sounding feedback. Like others have said it is very subtle and quickly shifts to overdone and off sounding. No big deal. I have ordered the Minifooger Drive pedal as an alternative.

There are two things I miss about the sub 37. The filter is darker and muffled in a good way on that synth and the overdrive and feedback are incredible also. I think the Minifooger will probably make up for those two features. I spoke to Andrew at Moog and he suggested that the filter in the MF drive while not the same as on the Sub 37, would be darker than on the Model D, and he said I should be able to dial in a very close to the Sub 37 overdrive on it. Hoping that works out so I can have that bright open feel from the model D and then with just a click on a pedal have that over driven and darker sound.

peat

Post by peat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:41 am

sub guy wrote:On the new Model D feedback effect is a bit underwhelming. I mistakenly thought it would sound like it does on my Sub 37 which has a very nice sounding feedback. Like others have said it is very subtle and quickly shifts to overdone and off sounding. No big deal. I have ordered the Minifooger Drive pedal as an alternative.

There are two things I miss about the sub 37. The filter is darker and muffled in a good way on that synth and the overdrive and feedback are incredible also. I think the Minifooger will probably make up for those two features. I spoke to Andrew at Moog and he suggested that the filter in the MF drive while not the same as on the Sub 37, would be darker than on the Model D, and he said I should be able to dial in a very close to the Sub 37 overdrive on it. Hoping that works out so I can have that bright open feel from the model D and then with just a click on a pedal have that over driven and darker sound.
This is what my vintage Model D does, it's nothing extreme until you get up to about 9 on the ext in pot then it goes nuts.

It really really depends on what you're feeding in and where the filter is of course.
With that said say you've got a pretty open filter and a multi octave sound going on, you can hear the feedback trick having an effect at lower settings in that it seems to reduce the upper harmonics.
(I have low out plugged into EXT in) I also usually have the master volume full up.

I for one think the trick is amazing as it can take a fat sound to a whole new/different place, it does add a bunch of level though.

The other side effect is that when the overdrive light is on and you've got high feedback, the filter wont squeak or ring like it usually does due to all of the upper harmonics being affected (I think)

Just my 2c