Voyager RME = catastrophic FAIL

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
quantize

Voyager RME = catastrophic FAIL

Post by quantize » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

I bought my new Voyager RME in May of 2010,

I've just woken up today and turned it on, all the patches are distorted, the whole thing has gone utterly bananas.

The filter and VCA seem to be operating OK but the oscillators have gone completely mental. I tried reinstalling OS 3.5 and resetting to no avail.

I'm genuinely shocked, I thought Moog was a brand of superior quality, in all my years of own synths (and this is my first Moog) I've never seen anything like this.

Extremely dissapointed...

I've sent it interstate to Melbourne for repair (its crazy there's nobody in Sydney, Australia who can repair these!)

I won't be pleased if it needs a whole new motherboard. This thing has had VERY light use so far...

quantize

Just Me

Re: Voyager RME = catastrophic FAIL

Post by Just Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 am

So you need 2 posts to say this?
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

RL

Post by RL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi quantize,
sorry that you got troubles.
But I guess your problem has nothing to do with the high quality. Moogmusic got all parts from manufacturers of the whole world and nobody can say whether these parts are 100% working for the next 20 years.
If the fault would come from Moogmusic why was it working for one year without problems. All companies provide a warranty cause it can happen that one of the thousand parts says good bye.
Be happy - your RME is still under warranty.

Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

quantize

Post by quantize » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Just Me wrote:So you need 2 posts to say this?
Yes, I did, because I missed the moderation message when i posted the first time...gottit? :wink:

Don't remember seeing that before..
RL wrote:Hi quantize,
sorry that you got troubles.
But I guess your problem has nothing to do with the high quality. Moogmusic got all parts from manufacturers of the whole world and nobody can say whether these parts are 100% working for the next 20 years.
If the fault would come from Moogmusic why was it working for one year without problems. All companies provide a warranty cause it can happen that one of the thousand parts says good bye.
Be happy - your RME is still under warranty.

Rudi
Clearly one of the thousand did not cut the muster...I'm hoping to hear exactly what went wrong over the next day or so. It's not a good start...I haven't bought a hardware synth in many years...and this is reminding me why that 'wonderful sound' comes at such a high cost. Again, I don't think it's acceptable, even in a market the size of Australia to only have one repair station
..It's a very big country and becomes very expensive to be couriering objects like these around.

quantize

Fordy

Post by Fordy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Thats the joy of analog!

I only had my new Voyager 3 month before it failed. Turned out the analog board had developed a fault. I don't think it's a quality issue, it's just one of those things.
Kind Regards

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Access Virus TI 2 Keyboard, Moog Voyager Select, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Quasimidi Polymorph, Korg Electribe SX, Eminent 310U,

FX: EH Stereo Small Stone Phaser, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lex MX400.

quantize

Re: Voyager RME = catastrophic FAIL...and now some iceing

Post by quantize » Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Well,

my RME came back again and it's been ok for a couple of weeks...It had been reset. No clear answer to why it malfunctioned.

I just got back into the studio and turned it on, I'm now hearing a tone emanating from the casing.

I called the wholesaler/importer's service guy....hey guess what? It's a known bug/feature that the backlight display eventually craps
out and starts making a high frequency tone!!!

WTF

That is crap...for a monophonic synthesizer worth that much, I can't think of a possible excuse for this kind of pathetic design and build

I love the sound of this thing, but so far I do not think this company is doing their namesake much justice.

Really sad.

I would like to hear from someone @ headquarters. This is really shabby stuff for what is meant to be high performance audio equipment.

quantize

mcrabbitman

Post by mcrabbitman » Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 pm

I know it is no consolation for you - but my RME is nearly 5 years old and still works like the day I bought it - used from an EBay seller...
Possibly you received a unit that was poorly treated during shipment? I have several pieces of Moog gear (RME, OS Voyager, LTE, CP251, Signature Edition Theremin, VX-351, VX-352, and a few others...) and I can attest that the build quality and reliability of these units is second to none.
Sorry you are experiencing issues but you are definitely one of the few. You need to work with Moog directly to make arrangements to have your RME repaired, especially if it is under warranty - all it takes is one phone call - their service department is awesome - I have dealt with them personally and they will make sure the unit works as intended.

Regards,

--Matt

nikola

Re: Voyager RME = catastrophic FAIL...and now some iceing

Post by nikola » Wed May 04, 2011 7:23 am

quantize wrote:Well,

my RME came back again and it's been ok for a couple of weeks...It had been reset. No clear answer to why it malfunctioned.

I just got back into the studio and turned it on, I'm now hearing a tone emanating from the casing.

I called the wholesaler/importer's service guy....hey guess what? It's a known bug/feature that the backlight display eventually craps

WTF

That is crap...for a monophonic synthesizer worth that much, I can't think of a possible excuse for this kind of pathetic design and build

I love the sound of this thing, but so far I do not think this company is doing their namesake much justice.

Really sad.

I would like to hear from someone @ headquarters. This is really shabby stuff for what is meant to be high performance audio equipment.
Sorry to hear that :(

I make music with Moog LP stage I, 4 years now, and i had power unit malfunctioning (it was fixed in one week, Europe). After that no problems. This thing sounds great (compering to my Juno 60, and that IS great sounding synth!) so i think i will suport MoogMusic in a future, because not every modern synth sound so good, and that is result of them taking risk in modern (aggressive) market .

Off course, i hope i will not have faulty unit experience in the future, but that is a risk whit complex analog instrument, VA synths are safe to own, but also boring as hell (cloned).

So, once again, i understand you are angry, and i wish you to have this problem solved, but don't give up, live is a bitch sometimes, i know :)

EDIT
quantize wrote:I called the wholesaler/importer's service guy....hey guess what? It's a known bug/feature that the backlight display eventually craps
I don't believe this. Contact Amos.
Even if it is true, your synth is new, so the importer should give you a fully functional instrument, noise free.
was i pushed or did i fall ?