What makes your XL so special?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
namahshaman

Re: What makes your XL so special?

Post by namahshaman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

wow, Cpt, that was very comprehensive and informative. Much love and thanks for your response, your input has definitely helped me get closer to a decision. Luckily, it'll take me until May to save up the money, so I still have time to weigh out my options and make the best choice.

On the other hand, I don't want to take away from the initial request of this thread with my business. :wink: And, even if the XL only has the extra LFO and ribbon controller, I think we'd all still like to hear some crazy sounds that XL-owners have made using all the bells and whistles. :)

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Good choice, Captain Beardheart!

Here's the quote about the LFO2 module:

". . .also a completely-new LFO2 module that is not found in any other Moog gear. It has simultaneous (+) and (-) outputs, 7 different waveforms including sinus and smoothed sample-and-hold... can sync precisely to MIDI clock, you can select MIDI-clock divisions via voltage control (or via MIDI CC of course; all parameters controllable via MIDI)... let's see, what else: LFO2 has a single-shot trigger input and a rate CV input... via MIDI you can set two different waveforms for the two LFO CV outputs (one doing triangle wave and one S&H, for instance)... it's a pretty nifty little module."

In addition to all this, the manual says that you can use midi CCs to control the rate of the pos and neg signals independently of each other, which gives you something of a 3rd LFO (or a 4th one, if you consider that you can use the 3rd oscillator as well). This thing in particular I have yet to confirm (I am waiting to hear back from tech support on why I can seem to get it going, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.)

I can confirm all of this is true. Also, because the modular section is a part of the synth, you can access the few remaining parameters that do not have their own dedicated CV input by assigning that parameter to either the Mod 1 or Mod 2 CV input. This allows you to very easily expand the modular capabilities to include things like filter resonance, spacing, or amount.

I have had my XL since last september. I absolutely love it to death. I'll try to get some sounds posted soon. . . I'm a newbie to posting here, but I've really enjoyed reading what everyone has to offer. Great forum!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks, Tommyecho. Great post, very informative, but now I want an XL even more. :) Glad to have you here. This is a great forum indeed. Looking forward to some sounds from your XL. Also, we'd love to see some photos, all patched-out and lit up. :wink:

Cpt Beardheart

Post by Cpt Beardheart » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 am

Hi guys,

As I obsessively research every tidbit I can find online while waiting for the delivery of my XL, I came across this addendum to the user's manual. It's all about the LFO2 module. Thought it might be helpful in this thread.

http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... 2_midi.pdf

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 pm

The addendum spells it all out pretty well. There is a indiscrepancy between the manual and the addendum regarding a few CCs that enable the positive and negative outputs to have their own rate in addition to having their own waveform. The addendum lists these CCs as being reserved for future use, while the manual lists them as controlling rate for + and -. I emailed moog about it, and they cleared it up for me: Amos (the firmware designer), when he has the time, will be updating the OS to have these midi CCs enabled to control the independent rates. I guess the manual jumped the gun on this one. So, at present, you can control the individual waveforms with midi CCs, something I had fun trying out the other day, but the rates will remain in sync.
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

lcoleman

Post by lcoleman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 pm

I too would love to hear/see some XL demos! There are not many I could find and those I did, I must have watched 20 times. I just ordered mine but it won't be here for awhile.

I would say the one thing I'm most excited about the XL is using it's control surfaces, lfo's, and filters, etc. to alter the sound of other synthesizers controlled via MIDI and run through the audio input. I just added MIDI into my Juno 60 and can't wait to do that with the xl. Then I can stack the xl's oscillators on top of the junos to have some weird Roland/Moog poly-hybrid!

Cpt Beardheart, I take it you've gotten your xl?

Cpt Beardheart

Post by Cpt Beardheart » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

lcoleman wrote:I too would love to hear/see some XL demos! There are not many I could find and those I did, I must have watched 20 times. I just ordered mine but it won't be here for awhile.

I would say the one thing I'm most excited about the XL is using it's control surfaces, lfo's, and filters, etc. to alter the sound of other synthesizers controlled via MIDI and run through the audio input. I just added MIDI into my Juno 60 and can't wait to do that with the xl. Then I can stack the xl's oscillators on top of the junos to have some weird Roland/Moog poly-hybrid!

Cpt Beardheart, I take it you've gotten your xl?
Yep, I also recently posted a demo song to the "Post your Voyager sounds" thread over here.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=30

I did that with MIDI tracks on the DAW, driving the Voyager, then capturing the audio out, track by track.

lcoleman

Post by lcoleman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks!

That section at like 2:20 emulating the back and forth between plant/page is awesome.