"Real panel parameter"; Why does it seem wrong?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Syntholabo

"Real panel parameter"; Why does it seem wrong?

Post by Syntholabo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:57 pm

What am I doing wrong?

If I choose 'real panel parameters' from the appropriate menu, why should any knob effect 'jerk' into position (most noticeable on filter and resonance). I'm sure you know what I mean; it is doing my head in... I want the panel to be as I see it, which is crucial for live performance. It makes me so angry when I hear that snap into position. Why is this happening?
I've tried initialising patch first, but this effect is still happening. The sound does change dramatically from any preset when I do 'real panel parameters', but I can't understand what is happening.

THanks anybody, who might care to advise.
Matthew

psicolor

Re: "Real panel parameter"; Why does it seem wrong?

Post by psicolor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:21 am

"Real panel parameter" doesnt rotate your knobs, it simply sends the settings from the panel to the analog board.

For live performance i think it's good to make a compromise and select one of the following options: using presets only, which means not touching the panel during the gig, simply switching presets - OR - not using presets and only using the panel.
http://www.psicolor.de

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

What OS? On mine with an older OS, when I go to real panel, the synth is real panel. Where ever they are set is what I get. No jumping to value, etc. The only caveat is that whatever patch select from's pot mapping and TP settings are in effect. This can lead to some unintended behaviours of the Mod buss and TP, for instance.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

It sounds like you'd like the Voyager Old School. It could never give you such a problem - at the sacrifice, of course, of memory.

Syntholabo

Post by Syntholabo » Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 am

Thanks guys,

So what... the 'real panel parameters' is useless to me? Surely, you press it and get every knob setting as you see it. Why would you want it to be anything other? From there, I would like to 'send panel sound' for sysex dumps. Am I on the wrong track?

Help!

p.s.I can't say I understand pot mapping yet.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Syntholabo wrote: p.s. I can't say I understand pot mapping yet.
For a nice intro to Pot Mapping, check out the 'On The Map' article on KnobTweak. Find it here:

KnobTweak > Files > Voyager > Pot Mapping.pdf

The article includes a dozen or so handy Pot Maps, too. Good stuff!

- Greg

ssilk

Post by ssilk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 pm

has anybody figured out Synthlabo's issue?

I'm considering a Voyager RME myself, and I would like to be assured that this function works correctly

so: enable "Real Panel Parameters", the patch changes to reflect the current settings of the front panel knobs (with the caveats previously listed re: pot mappings etc.) - so far so good, right? and then adjusting a knob should not / does not result in any "quick jumps" or "jerks" or anything of the kind, it all acts on the patch just as you would expect it to?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:57 pm

ssilk wrote:has anybody figured out Synthlabo's issue?

I'm considering a Voyager RME myself, and I would like to be assured that this function works correctly

so: enable "Real Panel Parameters", the patch changes to reflect the current settings of the front panel knobs (with the caveats previously listed re: pot mappings etc.) - so far so good, right? and then adjusting a knob should not / does not result in any "quick jumps" or "jerks" or anything of the kind, it all acts on the patch just as you would expect it to?
Mine works just like you would suspect. I just went into the studio to try it again to make sure.
Going from a preset to RPP and the panels switch and knob positions are now active. They do not jump to any value when turned. The pot mapping from the original preset is in effect so things like the TS and the mod inputs can do wonky things. If I initialize and then go to RPP, then the mod sources are what the switch positions say they are (And if they are on PGM, then they are at the default setting as outlined in the manual.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ssilk

Post by ssilk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Just Me wrote:
ssilk wrote:has anybody figured out Synthlabo's issue?

Mine works just like you would suspect. I just went into the studio to try it again to make sure.
Going from a preset to RPP and the panels switch and knob positions are now active. They do not jump to any value when turned. The pot mapping from the original preset is in effect so things like the TS and the mod inputs can do wonky things. If I initialize and then go to RPP, then the mod sources are what the switch positions say they are (And if they are on PGM, then they are at the default setting as outlined in the manual.)
right on, thx for the info! maybe it all began then as a misunderstanding of how the function was meant to work, or perhaps an old operating system, or something... I'm loving my Voyager Old School, but strongly considering trading it for an RME - it hasn't left my house yet, and I just can't see myself dragging this thing around to shows

and hey! that's two boards I've run into you on in the past couple of days :) I headed down last night to see if I could catch you gigging, but I either got there late (a little after 8'ish) or I was at the wrong place, cuz it looked pretty dead to me... I'll PM ya later, will try again next month!