Can Voyager Old School be used for Slim Phatty Poly chain?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TheStevenLasombras

Can Voyager Old School be used for Slim Phatty Poly chain?

Post by TheStevenLasombras » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 pm

I have a Voyager Electric Blue, but I'm considering downgrading to an Old School since I only ever use the 'real panel parameters'. The recent videos of the Slim Phatty poly chain are exciting, though, and looking around a bit I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this yet: Can the Voyager Old School be used with a Slim Phatty for the "poly" mode?

GregAE

Re: Can Voyager Old School be used for Slim Phatty Poly chai

Post by GregAE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 pm

TheStevenLasombras wrote:I have a Voyager Electric Blue, but I'm considering downgrading to an Old School since I only ever use the 'real panel parameters'. The recent videos of the Slim Phatty poly chain are exciting, though, and looking around a bit I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this yet: Can the Voyager Old School be used with a Slim Phatty for the "poly" mode?
The short answer is no - the Old School has no MIDI capability, and poly mode is only available via MIDI.

Would work with your Electric Blue, though... :D

- Greg

Xanthene

Post by Xanthene » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

You can get Midi for the OS no?

david

Post by david » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

It's funny but I've seen a number of posts from folks who seem actually surprised that the OS doesn't have MIDI.
Wasn't that the whole point of the OS?? No digital anything including MIDI??

dml

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:57 am

Xanthene wrote:You can get Midi for the OS no?
Yes, just send it to Moog. The upgrade costs $3295. You can also get the backlight upgrade for $200 at the same time.
david wrote:It's funny but I've seen a number of posts from folks who seem actually surprised that the OS doesn't have MIDI.
Wasn't that the whole point of the OS?? No digital anything including MIDI??
I had a bit of a giggle when the OS came out and the first thing peeps were asking for was "how do you sequence this thing??"

Each to their own :)

[/facetiousness]

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Some argue that theres no reason that it couldn't have Midi, if only for Keyboard pitch/aftertouch/velocity, since it does share the same digital keyscanning board as the other voyagers.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

EricK wrote:Some argue that theres no reason that it couldn't have Midi, if only for Keyboard pitch/aftertouch/velocity, since it does share the same digital keyscanning board as the other voyagers.
May be. But most people want a Midi capability so that the Old School can be 'played' via external Midi based sequencer, hardware arpeggiator (such as the OB Cyclone), or otherwise manipulated via the likes of Ableton, etc. And of course, "notes" are only part of the equation. With nothing but pots wired to the analog board and no code between, the implementation would only be half-done and nothing more than what you can do with a decent Midi->CV converter.

So here is my advert for the OB SEM (modern "Tom Oberheim" version).

It's outstanding... tracks perfectly, and has a capability to bind a Midi CC (any one) to control voltage patched into your choice of CVs. Can alternatively take either Channel Pressure or Velocity for CV2. And Portamento and Pitch Bend work perfectly.

Doepfer also makes an affordable unit. I haven't tried it but it's specs tend to suggest that it would work well with Moog gear: http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/mcv4/ 110 Euro direct from Doepfer or $180 from Analog Haven in the states.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Xanthene

Post by Xanthene » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 pm

latigid on wrote:
Xanthene wrote:You can get Midi for the OS no?
Yes, just send it to Moog. The upgrade costs $3295. You can also get the backlight upgrade for $200 at the same time
CV to MIDI is what I meant.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

As GregAE said there is no way to poly chain the OS with neither the Voyager or the LP.

However it is possible to send the OS's CV outs to control MIDI devices including the Voyager and LP. You'll need some external gear such as:

http://www.paia.com/midibrn.asp

If you google CV to MIDI you'll find more!