new voyager noob questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
praxisaxis

new voyager noob questions

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:46 am

Hi,
Just got my Voyager Electric Blue a couple of days back. I've played with it, read the manual, etc. But I'll probably still have a string of totally NOOOOOOOOB questions.

Here's my first one.

The Voyager has two channels out to produce stereo out. How can we affect what gets sent to those channels? I can't seem to find anything about stereo settings in the manual, although their are presets which pan this way and that. In what way/s can I mix the output between those two left and right channels?

Look, I'm bound to have more questions... I'll be back later :)

Many thanks!!

SteveD

Re: new voyager noob questions

Post by SteveD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 am

Hello and welcome!

So for the Voyager, there are stereo output VCAs fed by the 2 filters - note that the input to the filters is the mono mixer output signal.
Why the stereo VCAs then?

1) Dual LP filter mode - in this mode the filters are in parallel - such that filter B goes to the Left VCA and Filter A goes to the RIght VCA. In this mode Filter B responds to both the Filter Cutoff and Spacing knob (the numbers on the Spacing knob are ~octaves). Filter A responds only to Filter Cutoff. By setting the two filters to different frequencies you can get some pretty cool stereo effects as you sweep the Cutoff control.
In HP-LP mode, the filters are reconfigured to be in series and both VCAs get the same signal from the output of the filters.

2) Pan - the output VCAs can be modulated by the PAN input to move the Voyagers output signal left and right in the stereo field. There are 3 control inputs to the Pan circuit: The Pan Jack (needs a -5V to +5V signal for full panning), the PGM Mod Wheel Source, and the PGM Pedal Source. The last two are in the mod busses. One advantage of those is that you can use the Oscillators to modulate pan position - audio rate panning can be an amazing stereo effect.

Other than that there is no way to set the individual stereo balance of the things before the VCAs...

All noob questions are welcome - if you search the forums you'll find a lot of resources. Also check out the KnobTweak yahoo group - there are articles, tips, patches etc... all Moog related.
BTW - I propose that on the Moog forum we pronounce "noob" with the long "o" like "nobe". ;^)

Hope that helps
SD

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm

That is awesome. I don't think you could have written a more comprehensive post. Thanks so much! I'd like to say "but what about this or that?" but you seem to have covered everything :) .

I'll be back over the next few days with other questions about details.

Thanks again!
-
Tom.

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:21 pm

The only amendment I'd make on your post is that it appears to be the PGM'd mod wheel (and pedal) destination, not the source. Which is probably what you meant. That makes more sense anyway (I'm not sure how panning could be a source).

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 am

Doh! Need more coffee. PGM Mod Destination... Yes....

SD