Rack ear screws

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
twistedfrequency

Rack ear screws

Post by twistedfrequency » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi all. I have rack ears for my moog voyager RME ... but I cannot find the screws to attach these to the actual Moog and not sure if I can even get the same screws from a hardware shop here in the UK since I don't have a sample.

Can anybody help? I'm happy to pay for them + postage ... or if not can anybody provide a form factor or spec for the screw in case you cannot sell me them separately?

Hope someone can help - I tried the UK dealer already, but they do not have them ...

Just Me

Re: Rack ear screws

Post by Just Me » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't have one, but I'll bet they are either 8-32 or 10-32 X 3/8" SAE machine screws. You could just pick a sample of each thread up at a hardware store and try it. Don't force 'em in. They should thread freely. (Or e-mail Moog Tech support and ASK them.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:58 am

I have the same problem and are waiting for an answer from Moog Tech Support for a week now.

Does anybody have an official answer to this question? I'm especially worried about the maximum length and proper thread.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D
Mac OS X 10.14 | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | MainStage 3 | RME UFX+

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:12 pm

I don't suppose it's listed in the manual, in the specs somewhere?

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:16 pm

Right at the top it says:

" 1. The Voyager’s carton contains the following:
The minimoog Voyager Rack Mount unit itself, four 10-32 rack mount screws with washers, packing materials, a power cord, this manual and a warranty registration card. Save the carton and packing materials in case you need to ship the Voyager Rack Mount."

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:43 am

Indeed, your quote can be found in the original REM manual, which I don't have and is also not found on the Moog website. In the newer (?) Manual available from the Moog website which is for both the keyboard and rack mount edition, there is this text:
Installing the RME in an Equipment Rack

The Voyager RME comes with four 10-32 x 1⁄2” oval head screws and four finish washers to be used to secure the RME in an equipment rack. The RME occupies 5 standard rack spaces (83⁄4’). The angles of the rear panel allow for standard 1⁄4” plugs to be used for audio connections when rack mounted. A right angled AC power connector is provided with the RME for installing it underneath a deep piece of rack-mounted equipment. If the piece of gear that is to be above the RME is very deep, you will find that it will be easier to make the connections to the RME’s rear panel before installing it in the rack. When installing rack- mounted gear, it is always best to install all four screws loosely before tightening any of the screws fully.

Which clearly states, that the included screws are not for mounting the rack ears to the synthesizer housing, but to secure the RME in the rack. Which makes sense because 10-32 screws are the standard size for rack screws in the U.S..

However, even if that is the correct size for the rack ear screws, it is very difficult to get screws with that dimension in Europe, since the standard for rack screws here is M6. Not even the distributor for Moog here in Switzerland can provide these. It's a bit of an unfortunate situation.

Waiting for an answer from Moog Support now since February 11.

Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am

Ah, sorry I misread the post!

I found reference for a RME wooden handle kit, that apparently had a user manual

https://www.pdf-manuals.com/moog-wood-h ... 443-manual

Maybe there would be a clue in there, as it screws to the RME

I am just trying to be helpful

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:06 am

ummagumma wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 am I found reference for a RME wooden handle kit, that apparently had a user manual
Thank you very much. Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything specific in that link either. It’s somehow logical: Why should Moog be specific about parts which are originally delivered with the synth or included in the kit.

If I don’t get an answer from Moog, I’ll probably take the RME to a metal shop and have them cut new threads for DIN M6 screws.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Maybe find a local place that sells bolts & screws, or bring it into a hardware store & test for thread fit

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:22 am

ummagumma wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:08 pm Maybe find a local place that sells bolts & screws, or bring it into a hardware store & test for thread fit
After giving this some more thought, I remembered that I have some SKB cases for my bass gear for which I had to order additional rack screws because they seemed to be a different size than other rack screws. With that in mind, I was able to search for them in my "collection of musical screws drawers" and found a bag of them. Tried. Matched. Happy!

These are the ones I have:
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/skb_skb19ac1.htm

These here should fit as well:
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/skb_rack_screwset_24pcs.htm

The problem with rack and case manufacturers is that they don't specify the exact measurments of the rack screws but instead sell them in sets made as "parts for case model X" or the like.

In the end, these are definitely 10-32 screws, but I have to guess the threading is UNC.

So, ummagumma you were actually right, although the formulation in the manual is pretty vague about that.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:40 am

Well that is good to hear, some of the mystery is solved!!

And the info is here now, for others to find

Congrats!