Old School as Midi Controller??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Pastoral

Old School as Midi Controller??

Post by Pastoral » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:53 pm

I just got the MP201 and was wondering if I can use it with my Voyager OS as a Midi controller for some of my rack synths?

Thanks for your help,
Pastoral
Moog Mother 32 System | MF104m | MF105m | MF107 | MF108m | CP251 | Moog Etherwave Theremin | Moog Amplifier

david

Re: Old School as Midi Controller??

Post by david » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:59 am

I'm a Voyager owner considering the purchase of an MP201 for interfacing with my modular.
You'll probably be able to do program changes on your rack synths, but I doubt if you'll
be able to play your rack synths from the OS keyboard via the MP201. The MP201 acts
as as midi (IN) to cv (OUT) converter. Obviously, there's no midi out on the OS.
I'd be curious to know what you come up with. Keep us posted.

Best,

dml

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:25 am

The SOlution:

Mp-202. It is the exact opposite of the 201. It does a CV to Midi and has the pedal on the left side.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Don't you mean the 102-PM? Those are what we get on the other side of the world ;)

But seriously, if you want to use a Voyager for MIDI control, the only logical way would be to buy one which has MIDI in the first place...

I'm still wondering how many OS owners go out straight away and buy a MIDI-CV converter for sequencing.

/rant

xmit

Post by xmit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:18 am

Firstly, I'd just like to say a big 'hello' to all you dudes on here, in this my first post as a newbie. :D

I've literally just picked up one of the very last remaining new Voyager OS's, so thought I'd better sign-up & get skilled up here !

With regards to this post : I've been reading about the Old School's lack of a fixed 1V/oct calibration on the CV input...with that in mind I would actually also prefer to sequence from an analog(ue ! ) unit anyway, but never having used an analogue sequencer before my question is this - presumably the voltage / octave issue becomes irrelevant this way does it ? The amount of voltage you send per step sets the note's pitch & you simply tune the sequence by ear / with reference to another instrument or a tuner etc. ? Or have I got this totally wrong ?
The reason I ask is that I would rather get something like the upcoming Doepfer Dark Time ( or other standalone analogue sequencer ) to drive my OS than have to get an MP-201 & stick with MIDI.... :?

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

xmit wrote:the Old School's lack of a fixed 1V/oct calibration on the CV input...with that in mind I would actually also prefer to sequence from an analog(ue ! ) unit anyway, but never having used an analogue sequencer before my question is this - presumably the voltage / octave issue becomes irrelevant this way does it ? The amount of voltage you send per step sets the note's pitch & you simply tune the sequence by ear / with reference to another instrument or a tuner etc. ?
Some analog sequencers also have a quantization function that will "step" the voltage up or down to the nearest note on a 1v/octave scale. But at the same time, they usually offer a way to turn that off so you have as much fine-tuning control as you like. This would allow you to dial in pitches, though it would be a slow way of working. If you go this route, also look for a sequencer that has range switches. This will help you dial in frequencies easier. For example, the Doepfer Dark Time has a range switch with values for 1V, 2V, and 5V. That translates to 1, 2, or 5 octaves. But you can image that when it is set to go from 0 to 5V over the range of the knob, it is a bit harder to dial in a pitch since there is no "fine tune" adjustment.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX