Voyager I.D Help Needed

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GLM

Voyager I.D Help Needed

Post by GLM » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:52 am

Im hoping I can get some help here, as unfortunately I am getting no response from Moog support.

I have a Voyager that I am having trouble identifying with the information that I have.

The thing that is throwing me is the badge is not one that I can see anywhere else.
I know that it was purchased originally in London.

Serial is BC13325.
No backlight, solid white benders.

Attached are some images.

I would love if anyone had any definitive information on what I should be calling this, particularly if I decide to sell.
Is it a Select?

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG

VCO

Re: Voyager I.D Help Needed

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:38 am

I don’t have a voyager that’s a select. I have a white lunar impact performer edition . It looks like yours has the Bob Moog Signature although I’m not sure what it’s supposed to look like. There were less voyager selects that were made . Moog discontinued the voyager in 2015. I think if you goggle voyager select it will give you information . My pitch and mod wheels light up and flash are not like yours being just white. I would think the white pitch and mod wheels might tell you what year it might be. I would think there would have been a limited run on the voyager select. I think it originally came with two free tunings from the factory if I remember correctly. I just can’t remember all the information I remember reading about them I’m not exactly sure of the price although I think they were priced higher if I remember correctly.
Voyager XLs and selects were smaller production runs than regular voyager performers . There were a few different variations with different options in regards to the wood type and color. I also remember the Electric Blue. Certain years they stopped making certain voyagers and some of the pricing changed and was lowered I think I read some information on vintage synth explorer or wilkapedia in regards to voyager select.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 am

I checked on vintage synth explorer and Wilkapedia there’s some information there on the voyager in regards to the differences.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 am

My voyager says Minimoog Voyager Established 2002

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:17 pm

Didn't they make some "signature editions" early on?

Appears like it may be one of those

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:04 pm

There was only 600 signature voyagers made . They sold for $3500

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:07 pm

My voyager has 896 presets. Look and see how many presets yours has, my operating system is 3.5 . Look and see what version your voyager might have This might help you determine the year . Also aftertouch wasn’t available on some of the earlier voyagers. I think the early voyagers had 128 presets not sure but they definitely didn’t have 896. Also the touch screen if I remember right wasnt on the early ones. Certain features were added later.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:19 pm

My voyager also has the ability to scroll thru 100s of presets at a time via the knob that shares the external input . I don’t think that earlier voyagers had that capability. There were upgrades offered. I would think Moog could explain all the differences. Certain operating systems gave different features.

moognase

Post by moognase » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:51 am

The badge looks exactly like the one I had received back in 2003. Purchased in late 2002 in the UK. It was a Performer Edition and came with precisely this badge. I don't remember the exact details why the name was different, may have been something to do with the "Welsh Minimoog" name? Some copyright issue possibly,

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/moog-minimoog-204e

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/voyager-bob-moog

till

Post by till » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:40 pm

VCO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:19 pm My voyager also has the ability to scroll thru 100s of presets at a time via the knob that shares the external input . I don’t think that earlier voyagers had that capability. There were upgrades offered. I would think Moog could explain all the differences. Certain operating systems gave different features.
This is a pure firmware feature. All Voyagers are able to load a firmware version with this feature. No special hardware needed.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

till

Post by till » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:46 pm

VCO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:07 pm My voyager has 896 presets. Look and see how many presets yours has, my operating system is 3.5 . Look and see what version your voyager might have This might help you determine the year . Also aftertouch wasn’t available on some of the earlier voyagers. I think the early voyagers had 128 presets not sure but they definitely didn’t have 896. Also the touch screen if I remember right wasnt on the early ones. Certain features were added later.
The version of the digital board with more than 128 memory slots was introduced after a few years. Moog sold these boards for "in the fields" upgrades by users. I installed this to my 2002/early 2003 Voyager.
The firmware versions released after the first multi bank Voyagers were released are all working on the older 128 and the newer 896 patch memory versions.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

till

Post by till » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:48 pm

There was an issue with the Moog brand not to be used in the UK. So the early Voyagers sold there had no Moog brand on the front and back. But maybe this "by Bob Moog" was a legal work around this problem in the UK. Lter Moog got the name registered for the UK as well.

Sequence:

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:51 pm

I think I remember reading that about that in regards to the voyager having to say by Bob Moog in the UK. I don’t think he had his trademark back yet and to avoid getting into trouble with the welsh Minimoog that was a condition . My voyager is probably from 2015 and it just says Minimoog voyager . Not sure about all the history with the welsh Minimoog.
I think I read about all that in a SOS article

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:56 pm

Till knows a lot about the Minimoog voyager and the Minimoog . Sorry didn’t mean to sound redundant I just realized the links . At least my memory was correct where I read the information.

GLM

Post by GLM » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:20 am

Thanks for all the thoughts and wisdom.

I think the idea that this was badged differently due to legal issues is totally correct and answers that question.

Im so torn on the idea of selling this(financial issues).