MIDI-OX not recognizing sysex banks, only presets

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ummagumma

MIDI-OX not recognizing sysex banks, only presets

Post by ummagumma » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:46 am

This is odd, as I'm sure I've done this before. MIDI-OX is not recognizing when I send sysex banks from my Voyager, only individual presets.

When I send a bank, I can see the data being sent in the M-OX monitor window, but the sysex window doesn't recognize it.

When I send a single preset, it shows up in the sysex window & gives me the data size etc, and will allow me to save it.

Any idea what's going on? I've done this before to save banks, I'm sure?

Using voyager OS 3.6 beta from 2017

( on the Voyager, the MIDI enables sysex option is on, in the master menu )

Thanks!

ummagumma

Re: MIDI-OX not recognizing sysex banks, only presets

Post by ummagumma » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:52 pm

Here's a screengrab:
midi_ox.PNG
Looking at the log window, it is recognizing the individual patch as a sysex file ( yellow ) but when I send a bank afterwards ( blue, then purple ) it displays no sysex information.

And the purple text has nothing to do with any of the patches I have on the Voyager. It's like a ghost bank, or some kind of default bank list?

I tried setting the buffer to 1024 instead of 512, but it made no difference.

It appears to be sending the data twice, on ports 3 & 4. Maybe because I have my interface ( Roland octa capture ) set as the midi device and also the CTRL device in MIDI-OX. But it wasn't working with just one selected either.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:30 pm

I gave the Soundtower Voyager editor software a shot, and it is working fine saving entire banks. Maybe the Voyager doesn't send bank data as sysex, thus MIDI-OX won't recognize it?

Soundtower saves the files with an .mvr extension

till

Post by till » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:50 am

I did sysex transfers of a whole bank with my Voyager. But according to the dates of these SysEx files, this was before 2017.

Have you tried it with other synth that send out data blocks of SysEx with this size (18734 Bytes of SysEx) or bigger? Many MIDI interfaces are known not wo work reliable with bigger sized SysEx data.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm

Hmm that is a good theory. I have saved banks from a Roland JV880 via midi-ox.

If you have used it to save banks with your voyager, it does indicate something wrong with my process.

I had to enable something else in the "midi enables" menu too. Program changes, I think.

But when I tried "all enables" my Voyager froze every time & I needed to restart it. Midi panic button didn't do anything.

Thanks for the input!

BOY Abunda

Post by BOY Abunda » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:23 am

Any update here? top concrete

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:38 pm

Hi, not yet. I just needed to archive all my patches as it's been a few years & would suck if I lost them all.

The Soundtower software worked, so I've not bothered to mess around with it. I've got music to finish!

Interested if anyone else gets midi ox to work though.

*edit*

I did notice Soundtower appeared to be saving each patch individually, as a batch process when I saved a whole bank. And midi ox worked on individual patches, but it'd have taken far to long to manually export each patch, out of each bank