OldSchool key problem?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
FuzzTone

OldSchool key problem?

Post by FuzzTone » Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

Hello everybody,
I'm not sure if it's a problem or just a feature:
When I press the lowest F I can hear sound and when I press another key (let's say C) the sound switches to another key's note - C. When I release C I can hear lowest F again. So that's fine.
However, when I press F and then press and release 2 or more other keys the sound from F disappears so there no sound with pressed F.

I have this situation only with one mentioned F key. Is it normal?

thealien666

Re: OldSchool key problem?

Post by thealien666 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi and welcome.

NOTE: I've edited this message because, like a fool, I didn't realize that you are talking about the Old School version until Portamental below mentioned it, even though it was in the very title of this thread. (next time I'll read more thoroughly before posting a reply :roll: )
Last edited by thealien666 on Mon May 27, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Yes, that's normal.. key priority on the Old school is always last note.

Edit. Actually, I wrote that from just reading the post, but after the fact, it seemed suspiscious. I ran some checks... when pressing two keys at once and releasing them, it seems that the gate goes off, even if the lowest F (and only that key) was kept pressed all the time... call it a bug ? feature? don't know... I would call it more an oddity. But my OS works just like yours. So it's best to consider it normal... maybe report it to tech support, maybe they will have a hardware fix available in time for units that get upgraded or tuned at the factory.

FuzzTone

Post by FuzzTone » Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Portamental wrote:Yes, that's normal.. key priority on the Old school is always last note.
Well... my concern is only one key "F":
When I press any other key e.g. "A" and press 2-3 other ones e.g. G and D I get A, G, D. When I release G and D it changes back to A... but it doesn't work with lower F. F+A+G gives F, A, G and when I release A and G there is no F. So, something canceling sound from that F key.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon May 27, 2013 7:38 pm

ok, so to make sure I'm doing this right, if you press and hold down lowest F then press and release 2 or more notes while still holding F, the note drops? Hmm. I tested on my OS and regardless of how many keys I press and let go while holding F, it always goes to F.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Last note priority and trigger mode should note be confused. If I'm not mistaken the Old School is single trigger, not multi-trigger. Meaning that once a note is held down, subsequently played notes will not re-trigger the envelopes until all notes are lifted and a new note is played to re-trigger the envelopes again.

Whereas last note priority will produce the pitch of the very last note held (as is the case with your low F muksys). So everything seems perfectly normal with your OS.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm

thealien666 wrote:If I'm not mistaken the Old School is single trigger, not multi-trigger
It works either way, special key combination on power up will make it multi trigger.

Muskys : try pressing the lowest F and keep it down, then two key simultaneously, then release the keys simultaneously... no sound any more... VCA is cut off

I haven't been playing the OS for a while... old topic : all three oscillators sound exactly the same on my OS.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Portamental wrote: It works either way, special key combination on power up will make it multi trigger.
Yes yes yes, now I remember... It's been 4 years since I've had mine...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon May 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Portamental wrote: Muskys : try pressing the lowest F and keep it down, then two key simultaneously, then release the keys simultaneously... no sound any more... VCA is cut off
Tested again, in both modes. F holds after release of 2 or more keys. I have one of the latest OS's. It's possible this was a bug that was fixed.

FuzzTone

Post by FuzzTone » Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks folks!
Sorry couldn't respond faster. My posts should be approved before appearing. :D

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:34 am

FuzzTone wrote: Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 am Thanks folks!
Sorry couldn't respond faster. My posts should be approved before appearing. :D
I had exactly this annoying problem with my VOS, #350 and it got solved by changing the chinese keyboard to the Fatar, 10 years after purchase of the instrument. The change of keyboard also gave a far better velocity response.