Voyager Editor

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Bill R Williams

Voyager Editor

Post by Bill R Williams » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:43 am

Just bought a voyager (06/2021)
Looking for the editor on Moog's site. There is a page, but it's empty. Also it seems that an editor did exist at one point from a bit of Google searching. There are a couple other paid editors out there, but I've heard mixed reviews.
What are the chances to locate the original Moog editor/librarian?

Also, I need to do the firmware update which is supposed to up the patches from 128 to 800.
I think I read that there must be an actual hardware update for that to work?
Anyone know exactly what is involved in the firmware update?

One last thing, the biggest shortcoming I've discovered so far with the Voyager is the lack of octave up down buttons.
I did read that if you press edit x2 then the up down buttons serve as octave up/down. This was not the case when I tried that. Is that also part of the firmware update?

Thanks,
Bill

till

Re: Voyager Editor

Post by till » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:34 am

Congratulation to your Moog Voyager!

The 7 banks of 128 patches (= 896 patch memory slots) was a hardware thing for older Voyagers. You need a firmware version of 3.0 or above to use it. From the time on the hardware and firmware update was released, all new produced Voyagers had the new digital board and 3.x firmware included.

What firmware version are you on?

If it is below 3.0, you most likely won't be able to get the 7 banks of patches. But even the newest firmware will operate on this Voyager. As it is unlikely to have the new digital hardware installed, but not the firmware to use it.
I have no clue, if the hardware update is still available. I did the update myself.

Here are pictures of the original 128 patches version and the so called 3.x hardware update:
https://till-kopper.de/voyager.html (second and third photo from the top)

If you are on a version below 1.5, you can't update directly to a new version in one go. You need to update to 1.5 before. Also check the boot version to be 1.2 or higher.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

armandoc

Post by armandoc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 pm

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 am

I bought that soundtower editor, and it works, but you don't need it at all

You can just use sysex dumps & keep them organized in a folder