Voyager aftertouch sensitivity, for MIDI?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ummagumma

Voyager aftertouch sensitivity, for MIDI?

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:36 am

Have been using my Voyager as a MIDI controller for a poly synth, and the aftertouch is very clunky compared to say, an old inexpensive m-audio controller I have.

There is a velocity sensitivity you can adjust in the Voyager's menu, but nothing for pressure/aftertouch, that I could find.

Is there any way to tweak this?

I did a forum search & found references to a hardware upgrade Moog did for aftertouch, circa 2007 or so. But my Voyager is from 2013 so should already have it. Also not clear if the hardware fix affected MIDI aftertouch output, or just internal?

Thx for any tips

till

Re: Voyager aftertouch sensitivity, for MIDI?

Post by till » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:32 pm

The hardware update (I bought it) changed the way the analog aftertouch signal of the keybed is transformed into the needed digital data. It changed the onboard aftertouch as well as the data send.
Before this upgrade, the aftertouch was really awful. It was either a bit aftertouch modulation or near the max level. But not smooth or values in the mid range.
The Moog update changed this to a near average Fatar aftertouch feeling.

But there is no aftertouch curve selectable as on many other synths today.

The hardware aftertouch update by Rudi Linhard is the best. It gives the best aftertouch feeling I ever had on a Fatar keybed. With a bit of training you are able to play a melody by routing the aftertouch to pitch. When you connect a MIDI monitor, you are able to get a certain value and stay at this certain value or very near to it. I don't know if Rudi is selling these anymore.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Re: Voyager aftertouch sensitivity, for MIDI?

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:55 pm

That is good to know, thanks for the information!!