MiniMoog Model D Issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Minimoog89

MiniMoog Model D Issue

Post by Minimoog89 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Hey there!

Any advice on the following would be much appreciated. I've had the reissue since 2017 and has always been a bit problematic which I put down to quirks, but things have reached breaking point, literally.

The first problem is what I think a problem within the VCA section. The D would just randomly cut out for a few weeks. You would only be able to hear the faintest of sound from the oscillators, and detuning them would result in an almost FM type sound. The filter would affect this faint sound, but not resonance. The sound could also be modulated by both the LFO and envelope. It would always come back to working order but then after a few months would go again. Now it seems it's not coming back at all.

A few weeks ago, the D just stopped switching on altogether. I have test the kettle lead with another instrument and that worked OK. I can't test the other part of the power supply due to XLR connection. I do hope this is a power supply issue over an internal issue but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I seem to be cursed where Moog are concerned, as my Grandmother had to be replaced. Luckily that now works perfectly and is possibly my favourite synth at the moment. Obviously though, I want the D to work perfectly as it just has that sound!

Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Many thanks

Andy.

ummagumma

Re: MiniMoog Model D Issue

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 am

have you emailed Moog support yet?

I have found them to be helpful, and they could at least give you some instructions to test some things out