Grandmother step-advance clock & reset issue

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
beat4less

Grandmother step-advance clock & reset issue

Post by beat4less » Tue May 23, 2023 9:23 am

Hi, does anyone success to trig the GrandMother arp/seq with a sequencer (no MIDI, only with CV) ?
I can't achieve a strong and repetitive result.
It works most of the time but, let’s say once in 5 times, it resets on the root note one step later, or doesn't advance to the next note.
I tried with different Eurorack sequencers (WMD Metron, Intellijel Steppy), different attenuation levels of the triggers sent, different gate lengths. Nothing makes a good result.

Here is my setup:
- Sequencer track 1 output to GM clock-in (in step-advance mode)
- Sequencer track 2 output to GM reset input
Then switch on Play and Hold buttons, play an arp.

I think it would be very cool to be able to drive the rhythm with sequencer and simultaneously play arps on the GM.
If the above setup works, I could add Sequencer track 3 output to trigger in, and all this could be a lot of fun.

Any help would be very appreciated!

pmumble

Re: Grandmother step-advance clock & reset issue

Post by pmumble » Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm

I thought I'd try to reproduce this. I usually use MIDI to sync up my Grandmother to my DAW. I can't even get the Grandmother to sync to the tempo using clock in. I'm using clock from the Subharmonicon and regardless of the input PPQN or external clock mode the tempo isn't syncing. I've got it starting and stopping using the on/off and reset cv ins.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Wed May 31, 2023 4:19 am

I updated my firmware and was able to sync to analog clock with the clock input. But switching the mode to step-advance seems to break it. I can see faint green triggering of the gate light, but it doesn't play. Clock mode works though.

pahlin

Post by pahlin » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:57 pm

Try a different cable.
Doesn't make much sense, but I think GM is pretty sensitive to what the clock signal looks like (level or length). I have a set of cables with build in green/red LEDs that I like to use for this, because it is obvious if there is no clock signal.
When I tried to sync DFAM using those cables, it didn't work. I switched to plain cable, and it started working.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:16 am

Using step advance mode? It's not the default mode.