Integrating the DFAM with a Eurorack modular system

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
sawsinepulse

Integrating the DFAM with a Eurorack modular system

Post by sawsinepulse » Sun May 07, 2023 8:17 pm

I have a Eurorack modular system and a DFAM.

1) I would like to have my Eurorack modular system control my DFAM. In particular, I'd like to be able to play through the sequence on the DFAM using the modular as the controller.

Is the correct way to do this to patch a gate from the modular into the ADV/CLK patch point on the DFAM? This only seems to work if I also press the red PLAY button on the DFAM. Is this correct?

2) I suppose the other way to integrate the DFAM with the modular would be to simply make use of the patch points on the DFAM and use a sequencer on the modular to control the CVs going into the DFAM. Does anyone know what the CV voltage range that the DFAM accepts, and what the range is that the DFAM outputs? Are they all Eurorack compatible values (-5 to +5V, or 0-10V?)

Thanks for any info!

synthpeter

Re: Integrating the DFAM with a Eurorack modular system

Post by synthpeter » Mon May 08, 2023 2:54 am

Indeed, to run the DFAM from an external sequencer, the ADV/CLK input is used, and you need to press RUN to make it go. The good point about this is that this allows you to still start and stop the DFAM when it's clocked by a continuously running sync output from e.g. another synth.

For the control voltages, the best source is the DFAM manual page 24 and onwards. It specifies the voltages per patch point. Some of the pulse/gate inputs are limited to 0V-5V, but the manual indicates which ones are 10V tolerant. That said, patches from any output to any input are legal, and it's designed to go into a eurorack, so it's quite robust.