Matriarch Arp/Sequencer confusion with Ableton

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
ortho

Matriarch Arp/Sequencer confusion with Ableton

Post by ortho » Wed May 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Are you all not having problems using the Matriarch arp and sequencer in Ableton?

I just could not get them to work properly at all with the default settings, both using the Hold button and not. Notes would stop triggering, cascade up, or cascade down. I was also having double triggering problems.

Finally after a lot of testing it seems like turning local control OFF for both the keyboard and the arp/seq seems to work best and fix those problems. If you do regularly use Ableton, was this your solution too? I could not find any information about this in either the offical documentation or on this forum.

It seems weird that i would be the only one with these issues or i'm the only doof not smart enough to turn off local control of these things without needing them mentioned anywhere.

pmumble

Re: Matriarch Arp/Sequencer confusion with Ableton

Post by pmumble » Wed May 31, 2023 12:06 pm

Yeah, I had a bunch of issues as well. I was trying to use the arp via midi (via midi loopback) and it would sometimes respond normally, sending the chords held for the arp, other times it would spew the notes it was playing back out instead of the notes being held. Live here as well, though I doubt DAW matters so much. Something is definitely off.

ortho

Re: Matriarch Arp/Sequencer confusion with Ableton

Post by ortho » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:54 am

Someone from Moog tech told me that Logic did something different than Ableton and needed a slightly different setup, but I don't use Logic. Maybe that was their reasoning for not having any DAW setup instructions. I'm still kind of mad about that.

Anyway, turning Local Control OFF for both the keyboard and Arp/Seq has worked out ok for me, EXCEPT I realized that the Hold button doesn't work right... like sometimes it will hold the arp/seq and sometimes not, but it never will sustain notes. The Matriarch can really benefit from using both hands on the interface while sequencing so this problem gets on my nerves more often than i thought it would.