matriarch question - fixed pitch oscillators possible?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
enomis

matriarch question - fixed pitch oscillators possible?

Post by enomis » Tue May 02, 2023 4:15 pm

Hello all!

I am curious to find out if it is possible to set some of the oscillators on the Matriarch such that they do not track pitch. I am interested in using one or two of the oscillators as drones, additional LFOs or for ring modulation where only one osc. tracks pitch. This is inspired by how the Voyager´s third oscillator can function as an LFO or fixed frequency oscillator.

I have tried putting a dummy patch cable in the pitch input but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you for the input!

s

sdwillingham

Re: matriarch question - fixed pitch oscillators possible?

Post by sdwillingham » Wed May 03, 2023 8:22 pm

I agree the Matriarch would benefit from a feature to disconnect any oscillator from the keyboard CV.

A workaround you can try (may be a little fiddly): patch the keyboard CV out to an attenuator, dial the attenuator to the left to invert the CV, and plug the output into your VCO CV. With some adjustment of the attenuator, you should be able to cancel the CV response.

ortho

Post by ortho » Wed May 03, 2023 11:19 pm

I was just watching a video by Robe Music titled "Synth Nerds Only - Taming FM on Moog Matriarch" on YouTube ~ 3:00 and it looks like another way you could do it is to disable the pitch tracking of the oscillators by disabling local control of the keyboard and then wiring things back in from the keyboard connections on the back including to Osc 1 pitch and then when you plug something into Osc 2 it won't have key pitch tracking added internally. I havent tried it yet but it made sense.

It's funny, it's impossible to add everything in when designing a synth, but if you know just the right things to put in there, you can seemingly do anything with it.

enomis

Post by enomis » Thu May 04, 2023 12:43 pm

Thank you for the replies!!

I can confirm that the keyboard CV out to attenuator with the attenuator set to full left will do the trick. Most predictable if the matriarch is in mono mode rather than one of the paraphonic settings. Also if you engage the sequencer or arpeggiator you need to take cv from seq / arp instead of keyboard cv. That’s maybe obvious but just thought to mention it.

Interesting about disconnecting keyboard control. I will have to try that as well. Thank you for the tip!

enomis

Post by enomis » Thu May 04, 2023 3:49 pm

Disabling local keyboard control also works!

You can control the pitch of osc 1 manually by patching the output of the attenuator into osc 1 pitch and using the knob to select pitch. If nothing else is patched into the other oscillators, all oscillators track the pitch of osc 1. If you patch a dummy cable into the pitch input of osc 2, osc 2, 3 and 4 are independent.

Thanks again for the input!

ortho

Post by ortho » Fri May 05, 2023 3:39 pm

Yeah cool! I got lazy and just used an untracked oscillator from another synth to mod the Moog oscillators (Lin FM and also pitch), I really liked what sine waves were doing. I started going nuts modulating that modulating oscillator very widely and also the Moog's filters, sounded great!! I eventually steered it into a sound like a cat's sleeping purr. Not a bad way to end an experiment.

tonyadams

Post by tonyadams » Thu May 11, 2023 3:47 am

One potential solution is to set the oscillators on the Matriarch to not track pitch. To do this, io games you need to turn off the "KB OCT" switch for the oscillator you want to use as a fixed frequency oscillator or LFO.

rosydam

Post by rosydam » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:05 am

enomis wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:15 pm Hello all!

I am curious to find out if it is possible to Pokemon Infinite Fusion set some of the oscillators on the Matriarch such that they do not track pitch. I am interested in using one or two of the oscillators as drones, additional LFOs or for ring modulation where only one osc. tracks pitch. This is inspired by how the Voyager´s third oscillator can function as an LFO or fixed frequency oscillator.

I have tried putting a dummy patch cable in the pitch input but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you for the input!

s
Hello!

On the Moog Matriarch, you can indeed set some of the oscillators to not track pitch. This is useful for creating drones, additional LFOs, or for other modulation purposes. Here's how you can do it:

Turn Off Oscillator Pitch Tracking: To make an oscillator not track pitch, you can use the PITCH knob. Turn the PITCH knob all the way counterclockwise (fully left) for the oscillator you want to use as a drone or for modulation purposes. This effectively sets the oscillator to a fixed frequency, and it won't respond to pitch changes from the keyboard.

Patch Cable: Placing a dummy patch cable into the PITCH input won't necessarily disable pitch tracking. Instead, it's used for external pitch control. To achieve what you're looking for, rely on the PITCH knob as described above.

By setting the PITCH knob all the way counterclockwise, you can use one or more oscillators as fixed-frequency sources for drones, LFOs, or other modulation purposes while having the remaining oscillators track the keyboard pitch.

Remember that the Moog Matriarch offers great flexibility for sound design and modulation, so you can experiment with different oscillator configurations to create unique and expressive sounds. Enjoy your creative exploration!

ortho

Post by ortho » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:38 pm

rosydam wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:05 am Turn Off Oscillator Pitch Tracking: To make an oscillator not track pitch, you can use the PITCH knob. Turn the PITCH knob all the way counterclockwise (fully left) for the oscillator you want to use as a drone or for modulation purposes. This effectively sets the oscillator to a fixed frequency, and it won't respond to pitch changes from the keyboard.

Patch Cable: Placing a dummy patch cable into the PITCH input won't necessarily disable pitch tracking. Instead, it's used for external pitch control. To achieve what you're looking for, rely on the PITCH knob as described above.

By setting the PITCH knob all the way counterclockwise, you can use one or more oscillators as fixed-frequency sources for drones, LFOs, or other modulation purposes while having the remaining oscillators track the keyboard pitch.
Are you sure you're talking about the Moog Matriarch? Assuming you mean one of the oscillators' Frequency knobs (since there are no knobs marked PITCH), they simply adjust the pitch by +/- 0 - 24 semitones. Turning them counterclockwise does not disable the pitch tracking for them. I thought, well i'll test it just to be sure, and no, pitch tracking is still there.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:13 pm

That’s weird advice. Doubtful information, with an odd twist of enthusiasm. Seems like it was written by an AI.

ortho

Post by ortho » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:07 pm

sdwillingham wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:13 pm That’s weird advice. Doubtful information, with an odd twist of enthusiasm. Seems like it was written by an AI.
I had that feeling too and now it seems certain. Can't believe all that power is already being wasted on synthesizer forum disinformation. Just before the firings too!