Mother-32 Continuous Troubleshooting Hurdles For This New User

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
ABodyWithoutOrgans

Mother-32 Continuous Troubleshooting Hurdles For This New User

Post by ABodyWithoutOrgans » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:43 am

Hi everyone!

I finally saved up enough for a Moog Studio 3, and it arrived this week! I've been using it tons but have been running into some issues with the M32 that I can't seem to diagnose why they are happening even with the aid of the tech folks over the phone at Moog.

First issue I ran into was when trying to clear a sequence. I would press reset>shift>pattern and instead of the sweeping animation and clearing of pattern, I would get a yellow LED above "1" and the pattern would not clear nor change. I have tried pressing these buttons all in different orders and length to no effect.

Folks at Moog said this might be a firmware issue. But also suggested some work arounds. So I ordered a usb to MIDI cable and while waiting for it to come in I kept playing with the included patch book. The second patch instructs you to set the M32's ASSIGN output. When I pressed Reset>Shift>Sent End>8 to enter setup mode, I also didn't get the visual color response changed from the LED array. So I decided wait to play more until I could update firmware.

When the cables arrived I used Sysex Librarian and tried running the ERASE_firmware.syx file. Even at very low transfer speeds I did not get a response from my M32 (even the first alternating green LED before having to send the file again)

At this point I am a bit lost on how to troubleshoot this. I will reach out to MOOG support again when their offices open but also wanted to survey the Forum to see if any of y'all kind folks had any thoughts on my predicament.

Thank you so much!
Timo

namba

Re: Mother-32 Continuous Troubleshooting Hurdles For This New User

Post by namba » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:39 pm

I have the same issue and no one from support responds. I bought de MS3, my first analog synth from the brand that aways I heard from my favorites musicians. The product are very expensive and Moog don't returns my contact requests.
I needed to buy a midi interface to try to update firmware follow all steps and nothing, still the same.
Please, if you has any information or solution about this problem let me know.

MOOG MUSIC! PLEASE HELP US! WE HAVE A RIGTHS TO A SOLUTION!

netwave

Re: Mother-32 Continuous Troubleshooting Hurdles For This New User

Post by netwave » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:56 pm

I used a Steinberg UR22C with Roland Midi cable, though any Audio interface with Midi should work, just make sure the Audio interface driver is installed for your OS.
Midi out from Audio interface to Midi in on Mother-32.
Use Bome sendSX & open/select the Erase.syx file in the firmware folder to Bome and hit the Send[F4] tab to put the synth into bootloader mode, Then repeat send[F4] to erase original Firmware, its all documented. Press the clear out tab/file/open and select/load the latest FW build, press Send F4 button and Bome will flash the selected FW to your M-32, The leds will display once flashed. If in doubt use the supplied PDF guide from moog & if that doesnt work you may have hardware issues.