Grandmother - Control Filter Cutoff with control pedal

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MescaL636

Grandmother - Control Filter Cutoff with control pedal

Post by MescaL636 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi all,

I've had my grandmother for a few years now but am still pretty limited in my knowledge when it comes to MIDI/patch cabling. In the band I play with there's a bridge section where i'm triggering and sustaining 4 chords (just fifths) from a synth sample on my Nord Electro 5, and then sweeping the filter up on each of 4 corresponding notes, before playing an arpeggiating line on those 4 chords (sweeping but keeping the filter mellower).

Is there a way to control the filter cutoff using an expression pedal plugged in my Nord Electro via MIDI? I found another article in this forum but no explanation of how it was achieved: viewtopic.php?t=35511. I couldn't see the MIDI CC value in the MIDI documentation of the moog manual, or would this be possible with additional patching?

I need an additional hand free to control the filter or automate this in the bridge. I've tried patching the rate out of the LFO to the cutoff IN, and also adjusting the envelope to achieve a similar effect, but I don't have enough time between chorus and bridge to set this up accurately for the section and then reset this. It would be much safer/give more control to modulate the filter in this part with the expression pedal.

Also my filter has a dirty pot, can I spray contact cleaner on this pot. Is there any danger of damaging other analogue components if I do this?

Cheers,
Nick