Trigger button issue with DFAM

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Iso_unit

Trigger button issue with DFAM

Post by Iso_unit » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi,

So when I press the trigger button on my DFAM, it generates a much louder, punchier sound than when played from the sequencer. It's like adding EG or something. I've tested this a lot and I've made sure that I'm comparing the same steps. Nothing is patched. I've also tested this with my MAFD module which adds midi to the DFAM and its the same deal. Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

synthpeter

Re: Trigger button issue with DFAM

Post by synthpeter » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 am

Could it be that when you're running the sequencer, the envelope hasn't completely returned to zero from the previous step?

Nirollet

Post by Nirollet » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:58 am

Do you have another device that you could patch to hear if this raise in velocity is transmitted ?

Iso_unit

Post by Iso_unit » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 pm

synthpeter wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 am Could it be that when you're running the sequencer, the envelope hasn't completely returned to zero from the previous step?
I don't think so, because I can I trigger the same step repeatedly using a MAFDM and it's the same deal.
Nirollet wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:58 am Do you have another device that you could patch to hear if this raise in velocity is transmitted ?
Only tried with an MAFDM. But lets just say I did patch something else and it did raise the velocity, what would be the end solution?

(also sorry if you see 2 replies. I thought I replied a couple days ago and was waiting for mod approval)

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 am

I've tried comparing the TRIGGER button against the sequencer trigger, taking care that the decay part finishes before re-triggering. And indeed there is a difference in response, although on my DFAM the difference is minimal. It's as if the TRIGGER button leads to just a little more higher frequencies content.

There may be a logical explanation for the difference, but I can only guess at the reason why without having seen the circuit schematics.

Nirollet

Post by Nirollet » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:44 am

synthpeter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 am I've tried comparing the TRIGGER button against the sequencer trigger, taking care that the decay part finishes before re-triggering. And indeed there is a difference in response, although on my DFAM the difference is minimal. It's as if the TRIGGER button leads to just a little more higher frequencies content.

There may be a logical explanation for the difference, but I can only guess at the reason why without having seen the circuit schematics.
did you try different level of velocity on the sequencer knob ?
Is your attack button on Fast or Slow ?

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:24 am

I had the attack on Fast. Several different velocities; results appear the same across the board.

Iso_unit

Post by Iso_unit » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:27 pm

This issue occurs when applying VCO EG. The more + VCO EG applied, the more out of sync the trigger button goes with the sequencer. At 0 VCO EG, trigger matches sequencer, after 3 'o clock they start sounding different. I also had a chance to test a couple of other DFAMs and this issue was more or less present on both so I guess it is what it is.