M32 Step Address CV Tempo Input Mode (M32 Firmware 2.0)

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
jann.one

M32 Step Address CV Tempo Input Mode (M32 Firmware 2.0)

Post by jann.one » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:21 am

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the Step Address CV Tempo Input Mode, and wondering if there is a workaround:

The manual says "When the input voltage crosses the division between one step address and another, the new step is played ... a ramp LFO will play the sequence normally..."

This works as described, however there appears to be no way to reliably *jump* between two steps in a sequence.

I connected a square wave LFO to the tempo input, which presumably would cause an alternation between two steps, but it produces semi-random results. I added a fixed voltage to the square to "move it around" within the sequence and did not find a point of stable alternation between two steps. I've also recorded a series of non-continuous voltages into a sequencer and driven the M32's Tempo Input and gotten the same semi-random results.

It seems as if there is some sort of internal slew on the Tempo Input that makes ramps produce smoothly contiguous sequences, but also generates a ramp in response to an instantaneous voltage transition, and locates a "transition voltage" within the generated ramp, playing some intermediary step rather than the "destination" step.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

-John