Newbie Questions and build quality woes!?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
lrt75914

Newbie Questions and build quality woes!?

Post by lrt75914 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I've had a DFAM/M32/Subh system for about a year now, and recently treated myself to a Matriarch. The synthesizers are a lot of fun and the sound is absolutely great. Unfortunately there are a few points of friction that I can't quite get over yet:

First, there are the TS and TRS patch points. I have the feeling that the mechanical connection with the connectors is not really the strongest. Especially the TRS MIDI connector for the Subharmonicon seems only weakly stuck in the jack.
Is there any danger of the jacks being broken here? Should the patch cables not be left plugged into the patch points? Is there any experience regarding the build quality of the modular systems?

The other problem I have is that I can't find any information on whether these systems can be damaged by " improper " patch connections. For example, is accidentally connecting two outputs problematic?

I'm sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed before; I had a hard time finding any related topics.

Cheers,

Patrick

synthpeter

Re: Newbie Questions and build quality woes!?

Post by synthpeter » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:38 am

I have had outputs patched to outputs by mistake on both on the DFAM, and on the Werkstatt-01, and neither was damaged. It was always for a short time though, so it doesn't say anything about whether it's harmful in the long run. As a side note, the Werkstatt-01 manual warns against it, but only because this can lead to a summed control signal that can exceed the capabilities of an input.