Matriarch Midi Clock Sync problems

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
neutronman

Matriarch Midi Clock Sync problems

Post by neutronman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:22 pm

Howdy,

Recently got the Matriarch and using it with Studio One (with Quantum 2626 and MOTU midi express XT) . I can record/play Matriarch via midi just fine into Studio One. BUT if I send Midi Clock to the Matriarch (to control sync on Arp/Seq) it triggers erratically and makes garbage.

Anybody using this combo that might know the culprit? I've been trying process of elimination with no luck : (

Thanks in advance!

JOhn

LDT

Re: Matriarch Midi Clock Sync problems

Post by LDT » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:18 pm

I just tried to sync my Matriarch via usb midi from a Hermod sequencer. It responds to start/stop, but timing is garbage. It can play a few beats in time, but then throws in erratic stutters.
The really odd thing is that I found a combination of patch cords (in positions that has NOTHING to do with arp timing) that miraculously fixes the sync. Seems to me like it could be some weird grounding issue with the midi.

(If you now are wondering if I have any clue what I am doing: Although I just walked into this forum, and I received my Matriarch yesterday, I have worked with midi synths since 1986 and with modulars since 2000.)

I just made a little video of the weirdness, - will post a link.

LDT

Post by LDT » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Here is a link to a short video demonstrating the problem: https://youtu.be/jH0WEh7REts
(It is unlisted on youtube, so you can only see the vid with this link.)

I can add that the problem is the same whether I use usb midi or din midi.
Using a good ol’ analog clock from my modular is rock solid though,, so I am using that for now.

rolandos

Post by rolandos » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:34 am

I would say, Moog have to rework thier Matriarch Midi implementation in general.

@Moog when comes the nex firmware update???

For me, these are basics that are not met.
I never understand, why the cutoff isn´t available via Midi. The most time I work with a DAW (Studio One 5.5) and my other synth vintage stuff works fine with midi.

Also I wait for other open midi topics, see here the forum posts
-> Matriarch Velocity via MIDI
-> Matriarch-midi automation on cutoff filter

BR
Roland

LDT

Post by LDT » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:28 am

Well, to be absolutley fair, Moog never promised that parameters such as filter cutoff could be controlled via midi.

However, it is clearly their intention that the sequencer should be able to sync via midi, but as the above video shows, there are some very serious issues with that.

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:47 pm

I’ve read that people can get aftertouch out. I would set that to filter cutoff and modulate it via midi that way.

KOBA

Post by KOBA » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 pm

neutronman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:22 pm Howdy,

Recently got the Matriarch and using it with Studio One (with Quantum 2626 and MOTU midi express XT) . I can record/play Matriarch via midi just fine into Studio One. BUT if I send Midi Clock to the Matriarch (to control sync on Arp/Seq) it triggers erratically and makes garbage.

Anybody using this combo that might know the culprit? I've been trying process of elimination with no luck : (

Thanks in advance!

JOhn
Hi John

I have A matriarch connected with a MOTU Express XT on iMac 2020 with cubase 11
Don't have the sync problems you are talking about.

No problem at all with the arp getting steady clock from the motu thru cubase.
My experiences are the following:
It only goes out of sync when I press stop and play(rapidly) and if the note(chord) was still on
The matriarch then needs one bar to get in sync (4/4 @ 128 bpm)

If a stop cubase and press play when the marker starts at the beginning of bar or note its in sync
If a let cubase start at the middle or near the end of a note the arp isn't playing(usual arp behavior for me)but perfectly in sync when the next note(chord) hits

The Matriarch is on latest firmware V 1_2_3
And has its own ports on the motu

KOBA

Post by KOBA » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm

neutronman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:22 pm Howdy,

Thanks in advance!

JOhn
I would check your Clock input PPQN settings off the matriarch

KOBA

Post by KOBA » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:30 pm

nezzyidy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:47 pm I’ve read that people can get aftertouch out. I would set that to filter cutoff and modulate it via midi that way.
after touch is indeed one of the few parameters that's transmitted but also received.

jjiitter

Post by jjiitter » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:36 am

LDT wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 pm Here is a link to a short video demonstrating the problem: https://youtu.be/jH0WEh7REts
(It is unlisted on youtube, so you can only see the vid with this link.)

I can add that the problem is the same whether I use usb midi or din midi.
Using a good ol’ analog clock from my modular is rock solid though,, so I am using that for now.
I'm having same issue with a MIDI DIN clock coming from a hardware drum machine. What I've noticed is that the issue occurs when I have the Stereo Delay "SYNC/TAP" enabled (like the patch the video does). I'm wondering if the delay timing and the arp clock are somehow coupled when the Delay SYNC is enabled?

AttackRelease

Post by AttackRelease » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi - I just joined the forum here to bump this thread in hopes that Moog will address this(not sure if they read their forums here). I've had my Matriarch for some time and keep coming back every few months in hopes that I can get it to sync properly with MIDI. My entire studio (Prophet Rev 2, Juno, large modular setup, etc) is all clocked via MIDI with an Elektron Digitakt as the main clock. The only piece of the setup I cannot get to clock correctly is my Matriarch and it's incredibly frustrating.

I'm having the exact same erratic clock behavior as shown in LDT's video above. The light is green indicating MIDI sync, but flickers red and jumps around in the same way.

@Moog - PLEASE address this in a firmware update.

dangerous

Post by dangerous » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:01 am

I had weird behaviour similar to this last night. I realised that with me it was related to me having something patched to "Time 1 In" (I think some attenuated noise), and also having Sync enabled on the delay. I notice that this is also the case in the video that LDT posted above. And actually I notice that jjiitter posted similar findings, although doesn't mention whether "Time 1 In" is patched. If I remove that patch cable, then sync and arp seem to work fine for me.

thereminist84

Post by thereminist84 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:35 am

Hi all,

I've had this issue since I got the Matriarch. My steup: UA LUNA sending master clock to Matriarch via USB. Moog than forwarding the clock to other devices.

I've had the weird behaviour like on the video countless times, but restarting the computer with the Matriarch on and USB plugged would solve the issue.

This isn't the case today, that being the reason why I ended up in the forum.
I'm not sure what to do now.
I've restarted 5 times and the Matriarch is still not receiving MIDI correctly.
The MIDI lamp in the back is off and the RATE/DIV led lamp flashes weirdly mostly red and sometimes green, but super shortly.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

masaski

Post by masaski » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:17 pm

Here too. Just got a Matriarch. The midi sync is appalling for a flagship synth. It’s the most basic of requirements, even for a £100 box. Sort it out Moog!!

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14 pm

dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:01 am I had weird behaviour similar to this last night. I realised that with me it was related to me having something patched to "Time 1 In" (I think some attenuated noise), and also having Sync enabled on the delay. I notice that this is also the case in the video that LDT posted above. And actually I notice that jjiitter posted similar findings, although doesn't mention whether "Time 1 In" is patched. If I remove that patch cable, then sync and arp seem to work fine for me.
I've registered an account here specifically to post about this. My Matriarch has this same exact issue that has been referenced a few times in this thread. The problem being that when you patch a signal into the Time inputs of the delay, it affects the ARP/SEQ clock!! Why is this the case? Is there only one clock and the delay is operating on subdivisions? The delay should basically be its own module and not affect the ARP/SEQ timing.

Can this be fixed in a firmware update or is this a problem with the design?