Matriarch plus euro VCAs

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
bermandswale

Matriarch plus euro VCAs

Post by bermandswale » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:29 pm

I'm trying to get a step closer to polyphony by using a hermod, quad envelope and quad VCA to allow independent envelopes per note. I thought I could send midi to hermod and have it break the notes out into four cv/gates. I sent the CV back to the PITCH IN of each oscillator. I sent each WAVE OUT to a VCA being modulated by an AD envelope. I then routed each back into their appropriate mixer input on the Matriarch and put the VCAs in DRONE MODE and I turned off LOCAL KEYBOARD in global settings.

The pitch is tracking in an erratic way and the notes are still getting gated somehow by the Matriarch. I'm assuming the gating is something I can't bypass and it happens on each oscillator before the mixer. I also read somewhere that the PITCH IN is meant for modulation and not V/O tracking because it sums with internal cv. Hopefully I'm missing something.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

dct

Re: Matriarch plus euro VCAs

Post by dct » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:19 am

Did you already have a look at the approach by SpaceBrainCircuits with the MidiVolts Desktop unit?

See background and usage here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AjfW6Cgfc

Documentation: https://github.com/SpaceBrainCircuits/MidiVoltsDesktop

Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpaceBrainCircuits
(if not in stock get in touch via email and apply for a backorder)

I'm not related by any means to this offering
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:36 am

Regarding the oscillators, you are right, they are gated before the mixer, so unless you play 4 keys, the sound wont come from all mixer channels, but as you have found, you can still get the oscillator out from all the osc output jacks.

Have you considered not going into osc pitch in? Set the matriarch to four voice and let it set the osc pitch, then you just need four VCAs patched between each of the osc wave outs and the mixer channels. Then 4 envelopes need to fire in correct order, I think that's the tricky part - One way is to switch to full round robin mode and use a sequential switch eurorack module. I can elaborate on that if you like.

Or you can just get a midi to cv module that supports 4 note polyphony like the mutable yarns.

synthbaby

Post by synthbaby » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:33 pm

HI, i just purchased a Matriarch, and i would like to play it with 6 or 8 voices.
I was thinking to link it to another unit, like DSI Polyevolver can do,
or to some modules.
I 'm courious to know your vision on this argument, how to get the other voices.

Thanks

trickledraw

Post by trickledraw » Mon May 08, 2023 11:28 pm

synthbaby wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:33 pm HI, i just purchased a Matriarch, and i would like to play it with 6 or 8 voices.
I was thinking to linkredactle it to another unit, like DSI Polyevolver can do
or to some modules.
I 'm courious to know your vision on this argument, how to get the other voices.

Thanks
Oh, I'm also working on a solution for it. Does anyone here know how?

bekean23

Post by bekean23 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:18 am

nezzyidy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:36 am Regarding the oscillators, you are right, they are gated before the mixer, so unless you play 4 keys, the sound wont come from all mixer channels, but as you have found, you can still get the oscillator out from all the osc output jacks.

Have you considered not going into osc pitch in? Set the matriarch to four voice and let it set the osc fnf pitch, then you just need four VCAs patched between each of the osc wave outs and the mixer channels. Then 4 envelopes need to fire in correct order, I think that's the tricky part - One way is to switch to full round robin mode and use a sequential switch eurorack module. I can elaborate on that if you like.

Or you can just get a midi to cv module that supports 4 note polyphony like the mutable yarns.
If you're looking for a way to trigger the envelopes in the correct order for polyphony, using a sequential switch module or a similar module that can handle the sequencing of the envelopes can be a good solution. It would allow you to cycle through the envelopes in a specific order, ensuring that they fire correctly for each note.

Alternatively, using a dedicated MIDI to CV module like Mutable Instruments Yarns that supports 4-note polyphony can simplify the setup and provide you with the desired polyphonic functionality.

watchingollie

Post by watchingollie » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:13 am

Have you given the idea of skipping osc pitch in any thought? You just need to patch four VCAs between each of the osc wave outs and the mixer channels after setting the matriarch to four voice and letting it control the osc pitch. Then, four envelopes must fire in the proper sequence; I believe this to be the trickiest part. One solution is to switch to full round robin mode and utilize a sequential switch eurorack module. If you would like, I can go into further detail.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:43 pm

Make sure you disconnect the keyboard from the oscillators in the settings, or the pitch in CV is summed with the keyboard. That's probably the reason you are not tracking properly.

I recommend looking up "Robe music" on YouTube, he has a number of Matriarch sound design videos where he shows how this can be done.