Matriarch envelopes

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Sebastiangarst

Matriarch envelopes

Post by Sebastiangarst » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi.
Im playing the synth.
I have a Long release time on envelopes and Long attack on both.

I play 1 note, i hear Long attack and release the note. I still hear the Sound still because of the Long release.
I play new note, i dont hear any attack!
Tried multi trit on ofcourse, and off.

It should retrig the envelopes when i Press a key right?
But im not hearing the amp env doing a retrig... it should kill the Sound from release and start slow attack, i would think
what im i missing.

MARVINSPU36

Re: Matriarch envelopes

Post by MARVINSPU36 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Try turning Multi Trigger on. The red button on the lower right side of the control panel. It is labeled Multi Trig. You might be trying to retrigger the envelope before it has finished completely.

Synth.builder

Post by Synth.builder » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:34 am

Sebastiangarst wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:55 pmit should kill the Sound from release and start slow
What you are asking for is a 'return to zero' (RTZ) envelope. Analogue envelopes don't generally do this. And this is a good thing as sudden changes in output volume (eg. at the point of reset in a RTZ envelope) will cause a noticeable click as the old note is suddenly truncated and the new note has to take off from silence. Soloing with a traditional envelope, like those on the Matriarch, sound so much better with no sudden resets between notes. The notes flow together and if the attack is long enough you can control the volume of your leadline by the amount of space between hitting the notes.

Many digital and soft synths have RTZ envelopes as default and a whole generation of people have been brought up to think this is the way monophonic envelopes should behave. It isn't. However, RTZ is a good thing to have as an option, but this is not provided on the Matriarch.

Sebastiangarst

Post by Sebastiangarst » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:25 pm

Great help! Synth builder.

Why does these envelopes send Voltage with sustain at zero? Att,dec,rel zero

If i connect env out -> pitch in osc 1

I hear a half tone higher up pitch than root note..
(At end of env, Holding key)

I Can raise sustain fader to control pitch, but zero is half note higher. (Holdig key)

So if i wanted to make small “piuv” Sound with env to pitch , i get end note half tone higher..

Seems Strange!

Is it a bug or just behavior of these env ?

Synth.builder

Post by Synth.builder » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:25 pm

Sebastiangarst wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:25 pmIs it a bug or just behavior of these env ?
I think it's just the behaviour of these envelopes. The Matriarch uses a lot of the circuitry from the original Moog Modular and this supposedly includes the Moog 911 Envelope Generators. These were built using individual components and not the integrated circuits of later designs. These early discrete designs often had characteristics that later designs would correct. I would guess that voltage offset, that is, a non zero output when sustain is at 0%, is probably one of those characteristics.

That said the original Moog 911 had an internal trimmer that could be manually calibrated to make the voltage offset to be as close to zero volts as possible. But there are no trimmers inside the Matriarch, so I guess we are stuck with a small voltage offset.

I think your best solution is to use oscillator 2 (or 3 or 4) and detune the pitch a bit with the tune control to compensate for the change in tune from the envelope.

Sebastiangarst

Post by Sebastiangarst » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 am

Thanks alot! This really helps me moving on my matriarch adventure.