Using a pedal to control CV on Grandmother

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
bluesoul

Using a pedal to control CV on Grandmother

Post by bluesoul » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:48 pm

Has anyone had experience using a CV pedal to control parameters on the Grandmother? I'd really like to use a pedal to control LFO rate or filter cutoff.

Andy C

Re: Using a pedal to control CV on Grandmother

Post by Andy C » Tue May 10, 2022 8:48 pm

I wasn’t able to simply use a moog expression pedal into the GM, but using an expression pedal into a cp-251 then into the GM worked.

uberdavis

Post by uberdavis » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Like the CP-251 method. You could always bypass the middleman and use an MP-201.

dct

Post by dct » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 pm

As the old analog CP-251 and MP-201 devices call extraordinary prices on the used market, I ask here if there are any other 3rd party pedal controller, which could be configured to output some matching control voltage.
With cheap attenuverter module the scaling could be adjusted to the own needs, without robbing a bank.

Thanks for advices.
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:52 pm

I know two expression pedals that allow to attenuate the range by attenuation (I.e.: the toe position can send a variety of voltages):
- Boss FV300
- Moog EP2 or EP3 I guess.
I'm sure there are others.

I don't know any pedal allowing to set the heel position voltage (or maybe tsee the EHX below) but Moog synths are usually designed so that the pedal value adds to the potentiometer value -if any. This is not the case on EHX pedals where the expression pedal value will rather attenuate the value set on the potentiometer.

Speaking of EHX, they propose the Single or Dual Expression Pedals, that both allow to set a range and to reverse the sweep direction. Cool.

Even if not exactly the same thing, here are some control alernatives:
- You can use a CV sequencer to navigate through 8 steps of voltage, or to set manually a votage amongst eight. I sometimes do that with a Korg SQ1 but it will work with an EHX 8 Step Program too.
- You can explore utility pedals like the Old Blood Noise Endeavor Expression Ramper (or its big brother the Triple ER), OBNE Expression slider, the EHX CNTL Knob, the Copilot FX Broadcast (an LFO)...
- Or you can go modular. ahem.