Tuning issues, Matriarch

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
jonmanness

Tuning issues, Matriarch

Post by jonmanness » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:19 pm

Hey everyone,

I received my Matriarch yesterday, and am noticing some tuning problems despite updating the firmware, retuning and calibrating the pots as listed on Sweetwater.

Sometimes I can trick it to play C in tune, but typically it goes down a whole-step and the fine-tune knob sometimes doesn't work.

When I begin patching, I notice the pitch drifting slightly or triggering that whole-step flatness.

Is there an order to updating the firmware, tuning, calibrating the pots?

Running firmware 1.2.3. Thanks in advance!

jonmanness

Re: Tuning issues, Matriarch (fixed)

Post by jonmanness » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:39 pm

I managed to fix my tuning issues by calibrating and updating the firmware in this order:

1. Calibrate the oscillators. Do not restart synth!
2. Calibrate pots. Do not restart!
3. Update Firmware. It reboots on its own, but it should be safe to power off and on.

The Matriarch has been stable for several days and sounds amazing. I'll report if anything changes.

-Jon

jules.sounds

Re: Tuning issues, Matriarch

Post by jules.sounds » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 am

Hey Jon, thank you a ton for sharing your experience and how you fixed the issue. I got a similar problem on another synth (Grandmother, out of tune by 5 semitones :x ) and I first performed some of the calibrations but did some reboots, which was wrong. I only solved my issues performing the calibration as you accurately described.

Cheers,
Jules

jonmanness

Re: Tuning issues, Matriarch

Post by jonmanness » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:13 pm

Glad it helped! Actually, when I made that post I eventually had to return it because the tuning kept going down a whole-step, but my replacement's tuning is very stable.