DFAM issues or normal?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
jox

DFAM issues or normal?

Post by jox » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:51 am

I got a new DFAM and I think it has some issues:

first: when I touch the surface it, it feels a bit static loaded - ticklish - hard to describe. I tried a PSU from a Mother 32 and different outlets - its everywhere the same.

second: when I plug a cable in the Noise Level and send cv from a sequencer (0-control) it works just fine - but if I unplug from 0-control so the Input to Noise Level stays plugged, but the other end is free - noise goes high, and sometimes when I touch the open end of the cable, it goes low again and sometimes up again. shouldn't it got silent when nothing is sent? would someone be so nice to test this on their DFAM?

with some cables from the 0-ctrl clock out to the Adv/clock input the sequencer starts running wild, the cable itself works fine on everything else.

maybe everything is normal on this machine, I don't think the DFAM in the showroom I tried before had for instance this tickly surface....
do you think i should drive back there and try it with the show room model and eventually exchange it?

synthpeter

Re: DFAM issues or normal?

Post by synthpeter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 am

A patch cable plugged into an input with the other end open can indeed result in noises and hums. It's the same as on my DFAM. An open cable acts somewhat like an antenna, especially if you hold the open end.

I've not encountered the static on touching the surface though. Make sure that you have no patch cables with one end plugged in and the open end resting on the surface.

jox

Re: DFAM issues or normal?

Post by jox » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:55 am

seems I found the culprit for the weird sequencer and the static surface: there was some tiny wire (or hair?) in the power connector inside the case...
thanks for the explanation with the open cable on the noise input...