Grandmother ARP auto align to MIDI clock

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
tagirov

Grandmother ARP auto align to MIDI clock

Post by tagirov » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:05 am

Hi. Is there any way to set Grandmothers Arpeggiator to auto-align its notes timing to downbeats of external MIDI Clock?

I use the synth extensively with my Roland MC-909 groovebox, which is a midi master sequencer and clock master for the whole live setup, and the problem is in ARP start time in GM.

I have to press PLAY (ARP ON) button exactly in time with downbeat, which is not always possible in live situation.
For now I use a workaround for it:
- press GM's PLAY to turn ARP on
- stop the groovebox and restart its pattern from 1st bar
- GM's ARP will now play in sync
But it's no good for me and for audience )

When I replace GM to Sub 37 and use its ARP, there is no such problem - it's always in sync with midi clock, even if I press a key in wrong time. The same with Nord Stage - always in sync.

I wonder if there is a hidden system setting for this behavior in Grandmother or maybe will in next firmware?
Last edited by tagirov on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

beat4less

Re: Grandmother ARP auto align to MIDI clock

Post by beat4less » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:23 am

I'm also interested (this forum does not seem very active unfortunately)

tagirov

Re: Grandmother ARP auto align to MIDI clock

Post by tagirov » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Here's an excerpt from Sub37 manual. I think I need exact the same behavior on Grandmother (Phase Reset=OFF):
PHASE RESET
When set to ON, the sequencer timing (the downbeat) is reset the moment a new note is played. If PHASE RESET is OFF (default), then the timing of the sequencer is set by the arpeggiator or in response to a MIDI Start message, but the downbeat is not reset when a new note is played.
NOTE: When PHASE RESET is OFF and you play a new note before the downbeat, the arp or sequence will not start until the next beat.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.