Oddness syncing Mother-32 from Grandmother

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
tick-tock

Oddness syncing Mother-32 from Grandmother

Post by tick-tock » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Help! This is odd... am I missing something, do I have a setting throwing things off, or does one of my devices have a problem?

If I send clock from my GM to my M32 (ARP/SEQ CV out to tempo in) the M32's Tempo LED blinks green 'once' and it just sits there doing nothing. If I clock into the M32 from any other device (e.g., external clock module), it works as expected, meaning the tempo LED blinks green on each clock pulse and moves the sequence ahead.

On the GM side, if I send clock out to any other device, it works as expected, only the M32 has problems. This occurs if I have the GM set to always send clock or only send clock when APR/SEQ is running.

This is so bizarre that it only happens on the M32 when the GM's clock out is driving it. In other words, if I try to reproduce the Moog Demo Library video from 12/27/18 (Grandmother | How to Sync Mother-32 & DFAM), it does not work with the GM, only with any other device.

The M32 is in tempo input mode 2 (single clock advance) and has the latest FW.
The GM has the latest FW.

tick-tock

Re: Oddness syncing Mother-32 from Grandmother

Post by tick-tock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm

I tried running the GM's clock out thru it's attenuator them melting that output to the M32 tempo in and an o-scope.

M32 works fine when GM's clock output is +1v to ~ 3.4v, but stops registering when greater than ~+3.4v.

Is the Grandmother's clock output edge slope not enough to trigger the M32's 1v/msec threshold at normal 0-5v range? (other devices have no problem syncing)

Is it that the M32's tempo input is too sensitive? (but it works fine with clock signals from other devices)

Is it both?

Anyone?