Grandmother LFO rate knob

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
theshaggyfreak

Grandmother LFO rate knob

Post by theshaggyfreak » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 pm

I recently just received a new Moog Grandmother and I noticed something a little odd with the rate knob that I wanted to see if this was the norm for others. The rate seems to max out at the 9 mark on the knob. There is no further change between 9 and 10. Is this considered normal or is something out of spec with this?

Thanks!

theshaggyfreak

Re: Grandmother LFO rate knob

Post by theshaggyfreak » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 pm

I just completed the knob calibration and the functionality seems to be the same. So, I'm guessing that is just the knobs normal operation. If anyone has any insight otherwise, please let me know.
William 'Shaggy' Chrapcynski
http://www.pureshift.com

theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Sweetwater was nice enough to send me a 2nd Grandmother to make sure there was an issue with the one that I was originally shipped. After testing out two different ones, this seems to be a design choice at this point since both instruments performed exactly the same. So, at least part of the mystery is solved. Now I just wonder what the design reason is for this.
William 'Shaggy' Chrapcynski
http://www.pureshift.com

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:50 am

Haven't noticed that myself, will check it out!

I normally use the LFO at slow rates though

Is there a MIDI cc for the LFO rate? If so there may be options using that

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:29 am

theshaggyfreak wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 pm The rate seems to max out at the 9 mark on the knob. There is no further change between 9 and 10.
Exactly same on my GM. When I use LFO as a third oscillator it's just won't set pitch higher after penultimate mark on LFO rate.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.