DFAM advances two step on first clock signal from Mother-32

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
eriksvedang

DFAM advances two step on first clock signal from Mother-32

Post by eriksvedang » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am

I have a problem when syncing the DFAM to a Mother-32 (firmware 2.0), via the assignable output.

When pressing Start on the Mother-32 it will advance the DFAM *two* steps on the first beat, but work well after that. The problem happens when arming the DFAM on beat nr 8, if I arm it on some other beat it usually works as expected. (This effectively makes it impossible to make the two instruments play beat 1 at the same time.)

The problem is only present when the Mother-32 assignable output is set to Default, if I switch it to "Sequencer Clock / 2" or "Sequencer Clock / 4" it works perfectly. I also tried controlling the DFAM from a Matriarch, by patching the clock out to the Advance input, and it works great too.

Am I just missing something or is one of the devices broken in some way?

tick-tock

Re: DFAM advances two step on first clock signal from Mother-32

Post by tick-tock » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 am

I have the same problem... it only happens after changing sequences... it is OK when running the 1st sequence after boot up. If I change sequence then reset, I get that quick pulse on the 1st step.

I am on FW 2.0.1, but also saw this behavior on 2.0.

alfa8

Post by alfa8 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 am

eriksvedang wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am ....
When pressing Start on the Mother-32 it will advance the DFAM *two* steps on the first beat, but work well after that
Same problem here! :|

alfa8

Post by alfa8 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:48 am

does anyone found the reason about this?

eriksvedang

Post by eriksvedang » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

I got this message when contacting their support:
Hi Erik,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're encountering some trouble. The problem described is the result of a known bug in the M32's version 2 firmware that causes a synced device to skip a step when the sequencer on the M32 is initially triggered. Unfortunately, we don't have an immediate fix available, but our engineers are working on an update for the M32 that should resolve this issue.
Once this update is available an announcement will be made through the Moog website and to registered M32 owners. Please let us know if you have any questions in the meantime.
So... slightly disappointing, especially given that they keep selling and promoting this exact combination of modules. Also, why have so few people found the problem, it seems? It's the absolutely most basic use case after all.

If anyone has an idea for how to work around this limitation in the meantime, please let us know!

alfa8

Post by alfa8 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:51 am

Is also strange that I'm not finding any real solution about it on internet.
Is it possible this issue affects only some units?

Assign on m32 is configured as page1=2 (Sequencer Clock - default), and page5=4 (4 PPQN)

kelahhhh

Post by kelahhhh » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:16 pm

Two years late but maybe it can help someone. I solved the same problem by pressing the KB and STEP keys at the same time and moving the tempo knob until the two sequencers goes together. Pressing only one of the two keys (KB/STEP) you get triplets or duplets, which may have altered the Dfam sequencer. Next I had to find the right clock setting in the setup mode (page 5). This video helped me better understand some steps to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKT2MkSBESk