Hardware changes in the Dark Grandmother?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
dualmono

Hardware changes in the Dark Grandmother?

Post by dualmono » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Hiya,

just wondering whether there have been hardware changes in the new generation of Dark Grandmother synths.
I read some models had grounding issues or issues with a wonky power supply jack.

Thanks!

mcmorrise

Grandmother and Matriarch PSU woes

Post by mcmorrise » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:25 pm

dualmono wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm just wondering whether there have been hardware changes in the new generation of Dark Grandmother synths. I read some models had grounding issues or issues with a wonky power supply jack.
I would also be interested in knowing about this for both of the Dark semimodulars.

I purchased a Grandmother and Matriarch, both Dark editions, and I could hear the VCOs and even the LFOs (with all patch points normaled!) coming through my interface with the VCA closed. It was about -55 dB with either synth if I had them peaking at -1 dB. I wear headphones to do work as loud as I want when my family is sleeping, so it was very very noticeable for me.

I emailed Moog support on July 16th and eventually called them on the 26th as they didn't ever respond to my email. I know Sweetwater spoils their customers with a ridiculous turnaround speed, but I feel like Moog's support is … uh … lacking. Anyway, they sent me two ungrounded two-prong PSUs. The Grandmother sounds noticeably better, but the Matriarch doesn't even boot properly if I use the new PSU. Like, what's up with this?

And now that the Dark series is discontinued, I'm deathly afraid that if Moog can't fix it they're just gonna be like "oh well, we can give you a regular Matriarch or refund you." Uh no, I don't want a refund. I want the immensely expensive product I purchased to work.