External device into the Matriarch Delay?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Ted H

External device into the Matriarch Delay?

Post by Ted H » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 am

The Matriarch's signal flow puts an External device (plugged into the rear Ext. In) through the Filters, VCAs, then Delays. I'd like to just use the Delay only (from Grandmother) without VCF/VCA processing, but I don't see any way to do this without replacing the normal VCA1 or VCA2 signals from within the Matriarch itself. (Plugging the GM output to the Matr. Delay-Input 1 cuts the nice stereo effect of the Matriarch sounds.) Hope someone can prove me wrong.

m10k

Re: External device into the Matriarch Delay?

Post by m10k » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm

What about taking the output of the Grandmother and plugging into one of the Matriarch’s mults? Then take 2 cables from the mult and plug into the L/R delay inputs?

Ted H

Post by Ted H » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Plugging into the front Delay Inputs "replaces" (cuts) the Matriarch's signal to the Delay. I'm wanting to have both Matriarch & GM using the same delays. I also thought about somehow using the rear Delay Outs, but that doesn't get it either.

m10k

Post by m10k » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:20 pm

Ted H wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm Plugging into the front Delay Inputs "replaces" (cuts) the Matriarch's signal to the Delay. I'm wanting to have both Matriarch & GM using the same delays. I also thought about somehow using the rear Delay Outs, but that doesn't get it either.
Oh, ok! I see what you’re going for now. I bet there’s some workaround for that. If I think of something I’ll be sure to post it. Good luck!

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm

I think you would need to take the Matriarch signal out before the delay and go into a mixer, along with the external source, and patch the output of the mixer into the delay. You could bring your external source and patch it into the on board mixer, but then it would still run through the filter and VCA, but it sounds like you are trying to avoid that scenario. Blending post-VCA inside the Matriarch is not possible.

mangtronix

Post by mangtronix » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:54 pm

If you put the Matriarch delay to full dry then you can get the Matriarch signal post VCF / VCA from the Euro / Main outs. Then you can do some external mixing and feed into the Delay In and use the Delay Out to get the sound from the delay. To get a dry/wet mix you also have do external mixing (you have to keep the Matriarch mix at full dry to avoid a feedback loop).

I've tried this and it can sound pretty great, but it's a bit of a hassle (thankfully my modular already has a lot mixing modules). It would be great to have a set of jacks for VCA Out to feed into other effects and then back into the Delay In (then you could use the dry/wet knob on the Matriarch as usual). Very likely you could tap the VCA Out signal at the normalled connection of the Delay In jack and add some extra jacks to the back. Maybe one day when I'm feeling brave ;)

thomascook

Post by thomascook » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:09 am

You should just adjust the delay parameters and have to monitor the output. Also,. use the patch cables to connect external audio.