HELP! Grandmother MIDI not functioning. Unable to update the device.

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Ezmiho

HELP! Grandmother MIDI not functioning. Unable to update the device.

Post by Ezmiho » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to use my Grandmother as a MIDI controller but am having problems. I am using Windows 10. I have connected the synth to my computer via the USB port on the back, but no signal is coming from the Grandmother. I have tested this out both in my DAW and in MIDI-OX. The Grandmother comes up as a device, but no signal comes through. Other MIDI devices are working normally. I know that it isn't using any other applications, as I only have one program open at a time when trying to use it. I've even double-checked background processes with Task Manager.

Some people have said to update the firmware so I can reset it but I can't update it. Whenever I try to transfer the files through the MIDI SysEx File Transfer Utility I just get a message that says "transfer error." I know that I am following the correct steps to update the device as I have consulted the official Sweetwater guide for calibrating the Grandmother.

I have read other forum posts about this, and most responses say to unplug and replug the cable, close chrome, turn of midi access in chrome, restart the computer and numerous other solutions. I have tried every single recommendation offered and have yet to fix the problem. I have been troubleshooting this for WEEKS now with no avail scouring multiple forums and reddit, and it's starting to get very frustrating since I can't use my synthesizer with midi, part of the reason I bought it.

Are there any other solutions anyone can offer? I really want to fix this. I have posted about it before but got no answers.

JP.Perras

Re: HELP! Grandmother MIDI not functioning. Unable to update the device.

Post by JP.Perras » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi guys!
I'm a newbie on the site and still trying to understand how it works....
I'm trying here :P
Here's my problem:
I'm trying to connect my moog Grandmother to my Spd-sx in a way that my Grandmother will trig some pad that I'll choose on the Spd. I've already set all the midi channels and route everything right (that I think) but it still not working.
Is it possible?
Can the Grandmother launch a pad only by pressing the "play" button on the Grandmother?

Hope that it's clear.
Thanks.

JP

dct

Re: HELP! Grandmother MIDI not functioning. Unable to update the device.

Post by dct » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Ezmiho wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 pm ...and most responses say to unplug and replug the cable, close chrome, turn of midi access in chrome, restart the computer and numerous other solutions. I have tried every single recommendation offered and have yet to fix the problem. I have been troubleshooting this for WEEKS now with no avail scouring multiple forums and reddit, and it's starting to get very frustrating since I can't use my synthesizer with midi, part of the reason I bought it.

Are there any other solutions anyone can offer? I really want to fix this. I have posted about it before but got no answers.
a) can you connect your computer without problem from USB to other music gear (not GM)?
b) did you try to connect and transfer the firmware with another PC? I know there were troubles just coming from the USB connection
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY