GM: What is "the internal pitch CV"?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
dct

GM: What is "the internal pitch CV"?

Post by dct » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 am

I tested several days (including reset to factory settings of both devices), but I'm not able to find the root cause of the following issue.

Setup with MIDI works:
Arturia KeyStep Pro MIDI out Ch1 > MIDI in Ch1 Moog Grandmother
Sequencer on KSP with A note root works as it should to the GM.

Setup with analog connections works, but a few semitones below:
KSP Voice1 Gate/Pitch > Trigger/Pitch OSC1 in GM
Sequencer on KSP drives the notes on GM with the exactly same A note root from the MIDI connection, but it translates now to ~F# root note, instead of clean A on the GM. As if the pitch wheel would constantly be pulled some semitones down.

KSP CV out is correctly set to 1V/oct.

Searching for explanations I found this information in the GM user guide (BTW similar saying in the Matriarch user guide):

The control signal received here is summed with the internal Pitch CV to modulate the pitch of the Oscillator

What the heck is "the internal Pitch CV" of an oscillator? Maybe this would be the hint to an obvious solution, but I don't get this wording.

Any help is welcome.
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

Suspish

Re: GM: What is "the internal pitch CV"?

Post by Suspish » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:53 pm

The internal pitch CV is the CV generated from a key press. You'll want to make sure that the last note played on the keyboard is a C in order to get it to play the same note. It is a cool way to modulate the pitch center of your sequences, as you can press another key on the GM, just like how the onboard sequencer would react.

dct

Post by dct » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:20 am

Suspish wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:53 pm The internal pitch CV is the CV generated from a key press. You'll want to make sure that the last note played on the keyboard is a C in order to get it to play the same note. It is a cool way to modulate the pitch center of your sequences, as you can press another key on the GM, just like how the onboard sequencer would react.
Thank you for the background information. Do you see any chance to use this information to solve my problem?

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:05 pm

Just hit a C on the GM keyboard before sending the sequence, and it should play the correct notes. If not, press keys on the GM keyboard until you get the correct pitch.

dct

(SOLVED) GM: What is "the internal pitch CV"?

Post by dct » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Thank you for your hint; the thread question is solved. As I understood the problem is not on the KSP side but rather to put the GM ready on a base note to react correctly on incoming CV pitch signals.

I enter the reference base in the KSP CV configuration to F2 and hit the F2 (far left white key) on GM before playing remote oder sequencing. It works as long as I don't transpose the KSP too much down: If I do -2 octaves it doesn't send the very low notes to the GM.

Will have to investigate further this weekend.