auto start and re-sync DFAM and M32 to Subh

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
aldred

auto start and re-sync DFAM and M32 to Subh

Post by aldred » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm

I have a Subharmonicon, M32 and DFAM all clocked and working nicely together except for the start up and times when I want to re-sync the sequences mid-performance. Subh is the master.

Is there any way to get the DFAM and M32 to automatically start when I play the Subh? I'm having to start them manually. And mid-performance, what options do I have to re-sync the M32 and DFAMs sequences to the Subh?

Thanks
Mark

mreid

Re: auto start and re-sync DFAM and M32 to Subh

Post by mreid » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:03 pm

Starting them all together should be doable: if the CLOCK from the SubH into the Mother 32's TEMPO and the Mother 32 is set to the right sync mode then you should be able to hit the RUN button on the M32 and it won't start until it receives clock from the SH (i.e., when you hit play on the SH). Similarly for the DFAM: turn off RUN then hit the ADVANCE button until the sequence is on its last step, then engage the RUN button (so the red light shows). When the DFAM receives clock from the SH it should start in sync with the SH.

Resetting/resyncing them is a different story. Both the SH and M32 have a RESET input that you could send am external gate to to have them both reset but the DFAM cannot be reset via a control voltage, you have to do it manually. I really wish there was a mode where one of the DFAM's inputs could be used as a RESET input.

aldred

Post by aldred » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 am

Thanks. Reset on the DFAM is a pretty big omission eh.

I was looking through the v2.0 firmware help and saw that KB+STEP and pressing RUN/STOP will arm the M32 sequencer. I'm not sure how this is different from just pressing RUN. Any ideas?

I found an Ehsan Gelsi jam where he seems to be leaving the DFAM alone and often resetting the M32 sequences to keep the thing going ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqh2-bIryI

mreid

Post by mreid » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:48 am

I think the KB + STEP + RUN/STOP is meant for the case when you haven't yet started an external clock but want the M32 to start as soon there there is an external clock signal so that the M32 pattern and external clock are in sync. If you just hit RUN/STOP before the external clock was started, then the M32 would just start its pattern using its internal clock.

That jam is very nice. I think he is hitting reset and changing patterns on the M32 (but not stopping it) and that M32 is clocking the DFAM. Resets and pattern changes are synced to the M32 clock so that would keep the clock going to the DFAM steady.

aldred

Post by aldred » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks.
I've got it running ok now, but the lack of a reset on the DFAM is a real pain.