Matriarch - how can I see which firmware I'm running? Can't erase my firmware

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
ghanimist

Matriarch - how can I see which firmware I'm running? Can't erase my firmware

Post by ghanimist » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:48 am

Hi there,

I bought a Matriarch in Dezember.
I tried to update to the new firmware V1_2_3, but it doesn't work.
I transferred the INVALIDATE file - this worked - green Rate LED.
But when I transfer the ERASE file afterwards nothing happens...
Maybe my Matriarch is already running on the new firmware, and therefore it's not possible to delete?
Any idea, how to check which firmware runs on my machine?

Best regards,
Ralf

moogy_j

Re: Matriarch - how can I see which firmware I'm running? Can't erase my firmware

Post by moogy_j » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 am

Hi,

When you send the Invalidate file - the Matriarch looses connection to the PC. You will need to reselect the midi out port again in you sysex software and then send the erase file.

To show Firmware Version (this is from the firmware release document):

This function indicates the currently-installed firmware version, using the lights on the LHC buttons. Hold the highest black key, and while holding it press the next-to-lowest black key (D# 0). Count the number of times the PLAY, HOLD, and TAP buttons blink on/off to read the version number. PLAY = major version number, HOLD = minor version number, TAP = minuscule/bugfix version number. Example: this version, v1.2.3: PLAY button blinks one time, then HOLD button blinks two times, then TAP button blinks zero times (does not light at all).

John
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products

hudri

Re: Matriarch - how can I see which firmware I'm running? Can't erase my firmware

Post by hudri » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:39 am

Hi,
if you have sent the INVALIDATE file successfully, the only part of the firmware running is the bootloader. The actual OS has already been invalidated and Matriarch won't work as a synth. All it does is blink the Rate led and wait for ERASE and FIRMWARE files on USB or Din-Midi.

To see the current firmware version, there is a key combination (since version 1.2, described in the 1.2 release notes). Or you can look at the USB descriptor (Linux: "lsusb -v -d 2662:1e3e | grep bcdDevice"; Windows: Use a tool like "USB Device Tree Viewer" and look for Device Descriptor -> bcdDevice; Mac: System Information -> USB -> Moog Matriarch -> "Version")
If you see a version number like 0.83 or 0x0083, it means that only the bootloader is active.

What tool did you use to send the firmware files? Some tools require that you close and re-select the Midi port after each file. If you don't do that, the second file is not really sent, but you also get no error message. So just start over and send each of the firmware files, making sure to re-open the Midi port between the files.

YTNUKLR

Post by YTNUKLR » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 pm

moogy_j wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 am To show Firmware Version (this is from the firmware release document):

This function indicates the currently-installed firmware version, using the lights on the LHC buttons. Hold the highest black key, and while holding it press the next-to-lowest black key (D# 0). Count the number of times the PLAY, HOLD, and TAP buttons blink on/off to read the version number. PLAY = major version number, HOLD = minor version number, TAP = minuscule/bugfix version number. Example: this version, v1.2.3: PLAY button blinks one time, then HOLD button blinks two times, then TAP button blinks zero times (does not light at all).
Just wanted to clarify there is a typo in the manual. It should read:
Example: this version, v1.2.3: PLAY button blinks one time, then HOLD button blinks two times, then TAP button blinks three times.

Silvester

Post by Silvester » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:26 am

Thanks folks! Other than that, I'm loving the Moog One.
slope game

dejawitting

Post by dejawitting » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:42 am

ghanimist wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:48 am Hi there,

I bought a Matriarch in Dezember.
I tried to update to the new firmware V1_2_3, but it doesn't work.
I transferred the INVALIDATE file - this worked - green Rate LED.
But when I transfer the ERASE file afterwards nothing happens...
Maybe my Matriarch is already running on the new firmware, and therefore it's not possible to delete?
Any idea, how to check which firmware runs on my machine?

Best regards,
Ralf
Once the INVALIDATE file has been successfully transmitted, the bootloader is the sole portion of the firmware that is operational. Matriarch cannot be used as a synth because the real OS has already been invalidated. All it does is wait for the FIRMWARE and ERASE files on the USB or Din-Midi and blink the Rate led.