Matriarch Midi-to-CV to possible?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Headlands

Re: Matriarch Midi-to-CV to possible?

Post by Headlands » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:59 pm

This is one of those things that defy logical explanation for me if there's no fix for it or they won't make a fix for it. It's massively limiting for anyone who uses a DAW and a Eurorack, as we're talking about, or other situations. I'm feeling a bit pissy about it, but it's in part because it's a very expensive synth.

Unless we can get a definitive answer from Moog I will need to buy a MIDI to CV converter like you did. You're saying in that case I can't just use the regular MIDI 5-pin out/thru from the Matriarch and plug it into the MIDI to CV converter in order to get MIDI notes from my DAW to go to both? Instead I need to send MIDI out from my DAW to both the Matriarch and the ER converter?

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 am

Uups, yes, there was something called Midi through! Totally forgot this. :D
But yes, this should work....
Best,
Ralf

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:48 am

It works!!!
Finally I made the firmware downgrade to V 1.1.0. as mentioned above.
Now everything works as expected.
So far I haven't experienced any bad behavior due to this old firmware.
Anyway, I would feel better to have an updated firmware with this issue fixed.

Best,
Ralf

Hairu

Post by Hairu » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:44 pm

Reviving this old thread to say that I also had success getting MIDI>CV to work by downgrading to firmware 1.1.0.

Now that the new 1.3.0 firmware is out, I'm hesitating to install it because I'm not quite sure after reading the release notes whether the functionality has been re-implemented successfully. It's a shame since there seems to be a lot of other bug fixes and additional features, but to lose MIDI>CV functionality again would be a complete dealbreaker for me.

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:53 am

Please let us know if you do so!
I can't risk it in the moment, due to my live setup.
But I also would feel more convenient with a new firmware version...

Best,
Ralf

alfa8

Post by alfa8 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:38 am

Hello everyone.
I'm deciding these days if buying or not the Matriarch, and this is THE dealbreaker for me, because I will not follow the line of full modular approach anymore, but I do like the workflow of this specific machine.
Did you try the 1.3 version? Is the MIDI to CV working finally?

thank you to everyone will reply.

ortho

Post by ortho » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 am

alfa8 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:38 am Hello everyone.
I'm deciding these days if buying or not the Matriarch, and this is THE dealbreaker for me, because I will not follow the line of full modular approach anymore, but I do like the workflow of this specific machine.
Did you try the 1.3 version? Is the MIDI to CV working finally?

thank you to everyone will reply.
I tested it just now with 1.3 and Ableton. Made a quick sequence and measured the KB outputs on the back. I WAS able to see note (key cv), gate, and velocity information being sent out. I recorded a modwheel movement too and while it would play back the modulation on the Matriarch engine, I got no signal response out of the Modwheel out jack.

rgames

Post by rgames » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:11 pm

Friendly bump on this thread - has anyone found a solution yet?

I'm only seeing controller data passed from USB MIDI to CV on aftertouch, nothing else.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:16 pm

Is it just me or has all Matriarch firmware been removed from the Downloads section of the site?

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:35 pm

I wanted to try 1.1.0 for this issue but only the Moog Firmware Updater is listed in the Firmware section of Downloads. When I run it the only version is 1.3.0.

I have an old download of "Matriarch_Firmware_v1_2_3" so I know that it wasn't always this way. How do you get 1.1.0?

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:05 pm

The old FW updates were done this way: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... libration/

Don’t know why Moog support tends to remove things from their web site. They are mistaken if they think it reduces customer questions and support issues. It’s really disconcerting that I feel like I have to pack-rat all Moog docs for fear that they will disappear.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:25 am

I was able to request the firmware from support directly.