Matriarch Midi-to-CV to possible?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
monosources

Matriarch Midi-to-CV to possible?

Post by monosources » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I am able to convert Midi from Logic through the Mother 32 and send CV and Gate info to my modular. But when I try the same thing on the Matriarch, it does not work. Is there a Global setting i am missing? Anyone able to do this with their Matriarch and can advise?

Steril

Re: Matriarch Midi-to-CV to possible?

Post by Steril » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 am

I have exactly the same problem. Can anyone help? Ist the Matriarch working as Midi>CV interface somehow?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:06 pm

I believe the CV jacks are hardwired to the dedicated physical controller circuit output - not the summation point of the midi derived signal and the physical controller.

I'm guessing this could be modified in hardware but again, just guessing at this point.

bmiller128

Post by bmiller128 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Aftertouch seems to work properly (the CV output responds to MIDI Channel Aftertouch), but none of the others do (velocity, pitch, mod wheel). Hopefully this means that the others could be enabled with a firmware fix, but who knows what's actually going on inside. Aside from using Matriarch as a MIDI-to-CV converter, this also makes playing the Matriarch from an external sequencer or controller fairly useless if you want to do any patching at all.

I wrote to Moog support about this a couple months ago, but never heard back.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm

I had to delete my initial response after realizing my controller was assigning modwheel to AT pressure. You are correct and it leaves me thinking the same. If AT can effect the CV output jack over midi then velocity and the modwheel should work the same way. Hopefully it is just a firmware fix.

While they’re at it I wish they would add volume CC7 and going the other way I wish the pedal would send a CC like expression CC11). That may be asking for too much.

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:43 am

Same problem here. Resulting in the fact, that patches I made using the Matriarch Keyboard can't be played back properly from my DAW, which is very important for me as working for film. Some patches sound totally different ( different oscillator levels ), some of them which use CV out as a mod source don't work at all via Midi... I hope this can be fixed somehow.
Best,
Ralf

nextstopmars

Post by nextstopmars » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 am

I'm distraught. What a horrible thing. I guess they targeted modular people who are DAW-less? Here I go looking for non-moog solutions...

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:55 am

Anyone here who has experience on how to get a reaction / statement from MOOG music about this?
If we buy an instrument in this price range, they should at least inform us about the possibilities of future firmware fixes...

cmoog

Post by cmoog » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm

I had sent an email to support months ago, but have not heard back like many others.
After reading your post today I tried the chat one more time and after leaving it open for 45min I got a reply: :o

"There is a bug on the latest firmware revisions that prevents the Matriarch from sending MIDI data through some of the rear panel CV jacks. There is no ETA at this time, but our engineers are aware of the issue and working hard on the future firmware update that corrects this behavior.
In the meantime, I can send you an older firmware version and instructions on how to update your Matriarch if you'd like to drop the firmware down."

According to Moog firmware 1_1_0 (zip attached) does not have this issue. (I have not tested this.)
Attachments
Matriarch_Firmware 1_1_0.zip
(589.1 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:06 am

Uff... WOW, that's great news!!
Thanx for your persistence, cmoog!
xxx,
Ralf

Sundevil

Post by Sundevil » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:14 am

cmoog, I can confirm this downgrade solution works. Thank you for sharing! Moog had better take time to fix this as it’s a pretty major bug. :evil:

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:23 am

Nice to hear, but: MOOG!!! The first post on this issue is already 10 months old. We need an update! :?

Headlands

Post by Headlands » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:57 pm

I just spoke to a tech at Moog and he said that he is not expecting a fix for the MIDI-to-CV issue unfortunately, and that many people have requested it. He also said that it wasn't something that was working in older firmware versions, either. Weird! Maybe he misunderstood what I meant -- I'm a bit confused.
Last edited by Headlands on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Headlands

Post by Headlands » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:58 pm

Does what you're saying here mean that I won't be able to patch the CV MIDI outputs from the Matriarch into my Eurorack and get any signal? Or that MIDI coming into the Matriarch doesn't get passed through to the CV MIDI outputs? Either would be a major issue for me, and I'd need to sell the synth if they aren't going to be fixed since those are a very significant part of why I bought it -- I'm currently building a Eurorack.

ghanimist

Post by ghanimist » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi Headlands,

yes, hard to believe, but that´s really my problem. I bought the Matriarch as the basis for a Eurorack system. Apart from that I love it therefore, and the possibilities are great. Send a Mutable Oscillator in the Matriarch Mixer, turn it up... beautiful...

I can: Play the Matriarch Keys or it's Sequencer and patch it's CV outputs to the Eurorack an add an oscillator from the ER.
I can't: Play this sound via Midi from my Logic DAW!! Cause the Matriarch doesn't pass the Midi signal.

Feels very retro, 70ties before Midi. Sometimes I like the restriction, cause it forces me to play live on the keyboard or work with the sequencer. But most of the time I hate it. And it's really sad, that I still haven't got any reply from Moog about this!
I bought an extra Midi to CV interface from Doepfer for the Eurorack, and send the same Miditrack twice, to the Matriarch and the ER...