Matriarch: please allow stacked position of oscillators

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MaxFerency

Matriarch: please allow stacked position of oscillators

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am

It would be amazing if the Matriarch had a new global setting for a new paraphonic mode where each osc would always be associated with where it was on the chord.

For example, the 4th osc would always be the highest note, the 3rd osc would always be the second highest, the 2nd osc would be second lowest, and 1st osc would be the lowest. This would allow great versatility to play rhythmic chords in the lefthand w one type of osc waveform while playing a melody in the right hand with a different osc waveform. You could even make some really interesting chord colors with chordal playing if you knew where each osc would be in the chord stack regardless of the rhythm played.

(This has been mentioned in comments inside other topics, but I wanted to elevate it to its own topic.)
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Francishunt

Re: Matriarch: please allow stacked position of oscillators

Post by Francishunt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

MaxFerency wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am It would be amazing if the Matriarch had a new global setting for a new paraphonic mode where each osc would always be associated with where it was on the chord.

For example, the 4th osc would always be the highest note, the 3rd osc would always be the second highest, the 2nd osc would be second lowest, and 1st osc would be the lowest. This would allow great versatility to play rhythmic chords in the lefthand w one type of osc waveform while playing a melody in the right hand with a different osc waveform. You could even make some really interesting chord colors with chordal playing if you knew where each osc would be in the chord stack regardless of the rhythm played.

(This has been mentioned in comments inside other topics, but I wanted to elevate it to its own topic.)
Definitely send this to Moog as a request. I remember when they used to ‘Kaizen’ their synths by adding new features over time.

The Minotaur got new LFO shapes at one point I seem to remember

hudri

Post by hudri » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Hmm, I think this would be difficult to to use to get the desired sound.

What if you play just one note (e.g. an intro on the right hand without bass)? Would it play on the first Osc, because it is the lowest note played, or on Osc#4 because it is the highest note, or on all?
There could also be some "interesting" effects if a "bass" note is pressed a few msec before or after the "melody" note.
And finally, pressing a key could lead to all oscs to shift frequency (e.g. because the new note is now the lowest), which would probably lead to unexpected disturbances (see "glide bug").

A keyboard split (left hand up to definable note: Osc #1 and 2, right hand Osc #3 and 4; changeable via parameters) would be easier to implement and also easier to use.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Francishunt, is there a more formal way to send such a request to Moog than just posting stuff on this forum?

hudri, I don't think it would be that difficult. It would probably be better for if there were two versions: a "Melody-First" mode and a "Bass-First" mode.

In Melody First, it would assume the first note is always the melody and then add notes below that from there. That would allow for melodic playing with chords/rhythms underneath it. If you played and held the following notes: C, E, G, Bb the first osc would play C, E, G, Bb and the other oscillators would follow up the sustained chord behind it.

In Bass First, it would assume the first note is always the base line and then add notes above it from there. That would be good for playing bass in the left hand and comping chords in the right hand. If you played and held the following notes: Bb, G, E, C the first osc would play Bb, G, E, C and the other oscillators would follow down the sustained chord behind it.

I am generally less of fan of splits on keyboards because it is less dynamic and limits what you can plan where.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202