Matriarch - Sonic Character

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Francishunt

Matriarch - Sonic Character

Post by Francishunt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 am

Hi everyone,

Having owned a Sub Phatty I was quite surprised at the sonic characteristics of the Matriarch - Dark and ‘scooped’ is how I would describe it

I’ve just recorded a quick clip of four sawtooth waves with all filter settings at 50% and Stereo mode - To my ears this is pretty muddy sounding

https://soundcloud.com/user-225816650/m ... rd&p=i&c=1

Anyone have any thoughts on the Matriarch character and whether this is normal?

Francishunt

Re: Matriarch - Sonic Character

Post by Francishunt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 am

Another clip comparing sawtooth waves of the Matriarch and Sub Phatty - Seems the phatty has a fair bit more presence and volume at the same output level

https://soundcloud.com/user-225816650/s ... rd&p=i&c=1

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm

What were your oscillator level settings in the Mixer?

One thing I didn't realize until after I bought mine was that turning the oscillator level past noon in the mixer introduces drive.

There's also a lot of variance in tone depending on the filter switch(series/stereo/parallel), VCA mode switch, patching into VCA 1/2 In jacks, etc.

I played with my friend's Matriarch at a party earlier this year. I wasn't thinking of comparing it to Sub Phatty, though he did have a Voyager and Memorymoog in the house. I saw and heard enough to be comfortable with investing in my own Matriarch.

Francishunt

Post by Francishunt » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:45 am

GovernorSilver wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm What were your oscillator level settings in the Mixer?

One thing I didn't realize until after I bought mine was that turning the oscillator level past noon in the mixer introduces drive.

There's also a lot of variance in tone depending on the filter switch(series/stereo/parallel), VCA mode switch, patching into VCA 1/2 In jacks, etc.

I played with my friend's Matriarch at a party earlier this year. I wasn't thinking of comparing it to Sub Phatty, though he did have a Voyager and Memorymoog in the house. I saw and heard enough to be comfortable with investing in my own Matriarch.
Hi GovernorSilver,

On the second recording the settings are identical (single saw, 50% filter cutoff, 50% level, no Multidrive, 50% output volume)

Just seems the Phatty has so much more punch and presence - perhaps this was intentional on the matriarch to make paraphonic chords sound more balanced.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:34 pm

This is not a good way to compare imo. Despite both being Moog these are 2 completely different synths. If you want to compare punch or tone or whatever you need to match up the sounds as best you can. Doesn't matter how the settings on one compares to the other. Also they both need to have the same output level - however you acheive this.

All you've shown is at the same settings the synths sound different. No big surprise.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:13 am

I'd have to agree with markyboard. Everything I've read about how Moog calibrates their components of each instrument is that the focus on what makes sense for that instrument as a whole. So you'll have to play around with more to get "the same sound" on each. Also, consider Matriarch has 4 osc and Sub Phatty has 2. Then there is the polarity if the filters to consider as well among many other things.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:32 pm

Francishunt wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:45 am
GovernorSilver wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm What were your oscillator level settings in the Mixer?
Hi GovernorSilver,

On the second recording the settings are identical (single saw, 50% filter cutoff, 50% level, no Multidrive, 50% output volume)
Sorry but I was asking about the Mixer module on your Matriarch. It has a Noise knob, and 4 oscillator knobs. What were the settings on those?

Francishunt

Post by Francishunt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi Governorsilver

On the first recording the mixer knobs are 50% for all oscillators, noise off. On the second recording only osc 1 is 50%, everything else off.

Having spoken to Moog they say that the velocity curve of the output of both synths is different - so 50% volume will deliver quite a different result - but at 100% the results will be similar.

Still have to look at the muddiness but that’s perhaps me failing to understand the stereo filter :)

Francishunt

Post by Francishunt » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:48 am

Hi All

Having spoken to Moog and browsed a few forums it turns out I was right - the Matriarch is designed to be quieter than the Phatty line due to the way the amplifier works (in a more analogue way)

Lisa Bella Donna has posted some great advice on using the mixer for anyone interested (See attached)