Clock sync issues

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Ted H

Clock sync issues

Post by Ted H » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:50 pm

I am trying to sync the clocks (Arp/Seq Rate) from my Matriarch into my Grandmother. I am using rear panel 1/8" jacks (Mat Clock Out>GM Clock IN) (All firmwares are up to date)

The two will only sync when the Matriarch's Global Settings #28/Clock Output= "Only When Playing". The GM Arp/Seq doesn't play at all unless Matriarch keys are pressed while in "Only When Playing" mode.
If Clock Output is set for "Always" (which is what I need), the GM will not be sync'd but will randomly respond to Arp/Seq rate changes on the Matriarch.

Sometimes I have an External MIDI clock input to my Matriarch and both synths sync well, but not when I turn off the Ext. clock,

I've made an inquiry to Moog, but haven't heard from them yet.

Any thoughts?

Ted H

Re: Clock sync issues

Post by Ted H » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:01 pm

After weeks of messing with various connections and firmware settings, I may have found a fix.
Disconnected MIDI from my Grandmother and connected Clock CV from Matriarch into the GM. I still use my Ext. Clock MIDI INto my Matriarch. I had tried this setup initially with disastrous results. But somewhere along the way I got firmwares set to a workable solution. If anyone is having similar problems, I can provide the applicable non-Default firm settings I'm using.

Ted H

Post by Ted H » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Now the GM has drifted off the Matriarch clock. No firmware or cabling changes. They have the same tempo, just a beat off. Something's not right.

Ted H

Post by Ted H » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:35 pm

I changed my external master clock and strictly using MIDI. Everything seems to synching up now. Maybe my previous master clock device was the problem, so I made it a slave. :?