Matriarch - Dual filter ‘tuning’

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Francishunt

Matriarch - Dual filter ‘tuning’

Post by Francishunt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Dear Moog Music Forum

One quirk I’ve found with the Matriarch is that when you play the dual filter you get two tones (of course)

With both filters set at maximum resonance the relative pitch of each is different - it sounds like the approx interval of a third. Is there a way to have both in exact unison at the same level of resonance? It sounds pretty weird when producing a kick drum, for example.

Thanks for any input
Francis

Edit: I’ve found the ‘spacing’ knob solves this issue - the filters sit in tune at approximately in tune at -1. Does this indicate a calibration issue?

bmiller128

Re: Matriarch - Dual filter ‘tuning’

Post by bmiller128 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Francis,

My filters are usually in tune with the "spacing" knob very slightly to the left of 12 o'clock also. I've never tried calibrating my Matriarch, but I imagine that might help.

Another trick if you only want to use one filter: you can just patch the output of VCF1 to the input of VCA2. Then the second filter doesn't do anything and you don't have to worry about tuning them.

-Ben

Francishunt

Re: Matriarch - Dual filter ‘tuning’

Post by Francishunt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm

bmiller128 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 am Hi Francis,

My filters are usually in tune with the "spacing" knob very slightly to the left of 12 o'clock also. I've never tried calibrating my Matriarch, but I imagine that might help.

Another trick if you only want to use one filter: you can just patch the output of VCF1 to the input of VCA2. Then the second filter doesn't do anything and you don't have to worry about tuning them.

-Ben
Hi Ben

Many thanks for your reply

Good to hear my Matriarch is the exact same - the filters are in tune slightly to the left of 12 o’clock. Sounds like it’s normal behaviour (I wonder why the spacing knob isn’t calibrated to be exactly at 12)

Francis