Subharmonicon Sequencer Question

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
glocke12

Subharmonicon Sequencer Question

Post by glocke12 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Everything I've read and watched tells me that Oscillator 1 is tied to sequencer 1, and the Osc 2 is tied to Seq 2.

This isn't the case with the unit I own. If I have seq 1 on and seq 2 off I can clearly hear both Osc going on that sequencer, and the same is true when seq 1 is turned off and seq 2 is turned on.

What am I not understanding about this or is my unit broken?

mreid

Re: Subharmonicon Sequencer Question

Post by mreid » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:28 pm

Your unit is not broken and sequencers 1 and 2 are tied to oscillators 1 and 2, respectively. What you are probably not understanding is that the sequencers only control the pitch of the oscillators they are tied to, not the trigger for the filter envelope.

What you have to realize is that all the sound from all the oscillators run through the Subharmonicon's single filter + VCA and the envelopes for these are triggered whenever *either* of the sequencers make a step. The oscillators are constantly playing (i.e., making a tone) but you only hear anything when the volume (i.e., the VCA) is turned up and the filter cutoff is sufficiently high.

You can patch around this a little, e.g., by running the SEQ 1 CLK out into the TRIGGER in so that the VCA + filter will only trigger when SEQ 1 takes a step. However, you won't be able to get around the design limitation that the Subharmonicon only has a single filter + VCA and all six oscillators run through it.