Best complement for Grandmother ?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
synthury

Best complement for Grandmother ?

Post by synthury » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Hello there !

Finally got time to unbox and try my brand new Grandmother (first Moog ever - certainly not the last one...), and, I must confess that I am truly in love with this synth.

The feeling that radiates from this machine is incredible and literally invites you to explore sound.

I would like to complement this unit with either a Subsequent 37 or a Matriach.
A DFAM, Mother 32 (or Subharmonicon ?) could also be considered.

There are so many options that it is hard to decide...

What would be the better way to go in your opinion and why ?

Thank you for your help !

BR

S.

ummagumma

Re: Best complement for Grandmother ?

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 pm

wow, lots of options to choose from

I'd say anything with plenty of CV capability would pair well, including eurorack

I would be tempted to try the DFAM, M32 or subharmonicon

or build a euro skiff and get any of the plethora of modules available

Matriarch & Grandmother would be a pretty cool setup too, though

I haven't tapped into much of the CV capability of my GM: I use it for basslines, and some lead stuff quite often

I did have it hooked up with a Roland system 500 rack for a bit though, for some sequenced stuff driven by a Doepfer Dark Time. sounded great!

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:10 pm

A Subsequent 37 would complement nicely in that it has saveable patches that you can re-call. It allows you to fine tune and go back to many complex sounds but also can make it feel less immediate when modifying a patch because where the knobs currently are won't change for the patch you just pulled up. It also has 4 assignable CV in to work with the GM.

A Matriarch on the other hand is similar to a GM in that you can't save patches but it has 4 voices that you can use in mono or paraphony.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

johnstaf

Post by johnstaf » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm probably going to buy a Subharmonicon to supplement my Grandmother. I like the added oscillator options.

I love the simplicity of the Grandmother, and would probably prefer adding other modules to buying a Matriarch as a replacement. I like the idea of having various simpler units instead of one or two more complex ones. Two Grandmothers is also an option I'm considering.

Of course a Grandmother and a Matriarch together would be fantastic. It's really a question of the way you like to work. The fact that these are all eurorack compatible means you have endless ways to build your system.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:48 pm

My studio has a bit of modular and analog gear. I'm finding my Doepfer Dark Energy is a good fit.
Both in terms of level and timbre. But also the addition of another envelope and LFO.
Re-visiting the comment about level, my Roland SH09 just doesn't line up with the Grandmother very well. The synth output is weak when I bring it in to the Grandmother. And the gate/Note CV aren't quite strong enough to consistently trigger the Roland without external help.
So I guess my advice is to stick to Eurorack oriented devices to complement the Grandmother.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

Super Synthlord

Post by Super Synthlord » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:09 am

I'm looking at the boog neutron. I think this is the best most wierd heavy sound. Still thinking, but I want that osc blending and delay in the chain for CV.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:39 am

Has it already been two years since I bought my Grandmother?
Time flies.
I've mostly been using it with my Elektron gear lately.
The Analog 4 MK1 is an underrated gem. It has 4 CV outputs, and with the newer firmware you can have the same arp playing it's internal OSCs, AND over MIDI AND over CV.
That allows me to sync the Grandmother up with what all my MIDI boxes are synced to and have it firing off notes without being one of those weirdos that touches keyboards with their fingers.
Also the Analog 4 is a lot cheaper on the used market than it has any right to be. I paid about the same for mine as what a nice MIDI-CV converter goes for. I guess it's just harder to get good sounds out of than other Elektron gear, and doesn't deliver the immediate satisfaction that a Moog Minitaur or Sub37 does.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

Super Synthlord

Post by Super Synthlord » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:57 pm

Yup got a neutron. 48 patch points with no idea wtf is going on. Took 20 mins to get a squeek. Midi works but I don't understand what to patch from the granny to also trigger the note on the neutron like midi. The analog delay is nice and complementary to the reverb, Sounds very deep indeed. - modular noob. :roll: