Moog Matriarch: Gate Out using Multitrigger V 1.2.3

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
phaedra

Moog Matriarch: Gate Out using Multitrigger V 1.2.3

Post by phaedra » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:43 am

When using the multi trigger function, no further signal is output at the gate out when another key is played. So far I have asked Moog three times why that is, but receive no answer. I would be interested in at least one reasonable reason. I would like to use the output, for example, to use another envelope generator or to control Mutable Instruments Rings. For me this is more of a bug than a feature. But maybe someone has a good explanation for me.

Markyboard

Re: Moog Matriarch: Gate Out using Multitrigger V 1.2.3

Post by Markyboard » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:31 am

I would guess that a different signal needs to be connected to the gate output jack. In other words its not just a matter of changing the firmware,

phaedra

Post by phaedra » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am

Yes, that's a guess. I'm not a technician and that's why I don't unscrew the device. If so, Moog could answer. In any case, it is regrettable that it does not work.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Cant you use one of the envelope outs? I'm not sure how you would want the gate to behave any different from this. You may have to use split mode and dedicate an envelope just for your modular.

phaedra

Post by phaedra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

This only works properly if I use an organ envelope on one of the two envelope generators. It should just work the same way as internally with the multitrigger: Internally with each keystroke, a new gate is generated in order to control your own envelopes. This should also work at the gate out. I don't like to imagine that the solution for this can only be found on the hardware side. After half a year I am slowly expecting a Moog employee to answer my question.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 am

I'm sorry but I believe you're mistaken. This is a paraphonic with one gate signal only; multi-trigger affects the envelope re-triggering, not the gate. If it worked the way you wanted wouldn't the gate be interrupted each time you play a new note causing the held note to glitch? This is not a bug.

Also you can use the envelope to do some cool retriggering of your external module(s) depending on the modules used and how you set the decay and sustain level. It doesn't have to be "organ envelope" but of course it depends what you're trying to do.

Btw if you want someone to respond from Moog you have to call them. Hope this helps.

awi64

Post by awi64 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Although I would not say it's a bug, I also miss that multiple gate out option a lot. Looking for a firmware solution, I came across this forum thread.

Here's a workaround that you may find interesting if you're into modular gear (which I assume you are):

Consider buying a Doepfer A-156 dual quantizer. Each of the two channels has (of course) a CV in and out, but also a trigger in and out. Taken from the Doepfer website:
Trigger output: Whenever a quantisation happens (i.e. a new voltage is generated at the CV Out) a positive pulse occurs at this output. It may be used to trigger an envelope generator (ADSR) or for triggering other modules.
You can connect the Matriarch Keyboard CV output to the quantizer and thus generate a new trigger (unfortunately, not a gate, but wait a second) with each new note, derived from the changed CV.

The A-6 Quantizer algorithm on the Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 has such a trigger output, too. The Disting costs more than the Doepfer and it has only 1 channel, but it can do a whole lot of other useful things.

So now if you play a new note, you get a new trigger from the Quantizer.

And for maximum flexibility, add a Klavis Logica XT: The "Gater" algorithm is capable of generating a gate signal from up to three logical input signals combined, all of which can be triggers or gates themselves, and the output is almost like an OR signal, but - here comes the trick - with a short, configurable interruption each time any of the inputs goes low. Patch the Matriarch Gate Out and the Quantizer's Trigger Out to the Klavis Logica XT, Input 1 and 2. It actually stops and retriggers the Gate as desired (not just a logical OR which would stay "high" all the time).

The Klavis is a very smart device in many regards.

Hope this helps, it works for me.
Andreas