Matriarch - staccato playing in paraphonic modes

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
robamjarv

Re: Matriarch - staccato playing in paraphonic modes

Post by robamjarv » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm

Just got a response back. Fingers crossed they tackle this in the next release:

“There is an update coming in the next few weeks, it focuses primarily on CV and MIDI to CV improvements. The behavior you describe is still documented on our bug report/feature request shared with engineering. I'll put an extra note in that entry so that it might be investigated in the next revision. Please let me know if you have any other questions.”

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:08 am

I wonder what the CV and MIDI to CV improvements are?

Let's hope they're going to do something about the note delay. It worked fine in v1.0.1
robamjarv wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm Just got a response back. Fingers crossed they tackle this in the next release:

“There is an update coming in the next few weeks, it focuses primarily on CV and MIDI to CV improvements. The behavior you describe is still documented on our bug report/feature request shared with engineering. I'll put an extra note in that entry so that it might be investigated in the next revision. Please let me know if you have any other questions.”
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:01 am

Damn, I sincerely hope it will be fixed.
I just can't believe that such a defect can last that long without being corrected. I mean, some people actually play this synth, right ?

mcmorrise

Post by mcmorrise » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:24 am

I'm glad they've finally given some kind of ETA, but still shocked at how long it's taken. The most frustrating part is that, knowing a lot of fellow neurodivergent people who do coding stuff strictly because they're passionate about it, I don't think it would have taken this long if Moog had bothered to find people who wanted to do it "for fun" instead of putting this on the to-do list for paid employees. Knowing the way the community is, if Moog would release the source code and appropriate documentation, there would be a patch next week. Incredibly frustrating, then, that they have dragged their feet for literal years.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 am

Yeah it's unbelievable how long they take to fix things what, well, would make this instrument simply useable !
Meanwhile, GREAT news, since today, you can effectively protect your useless Matriarch : https://www.moogmusic.com/products/matriarch-dust-cover
:lol:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:42 pm

Bumping this.
Not because I've got hope, mainly because I'm pissed off.

Synth.builder

Post by Synth.builder » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:11 am

chapelier fou wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:42 pmNot because I've got hope...
Supposedly there's a new firmware update coming very shortly. And it'll fix the rear facing CV outputs not responding to midi too.

But, yeah, I'll not be holding my breath until it arrives.

Which reminds me, I must badger them about the filter tracking not working properly on certain glide modes and the delay CV input not working correctly.

jonmanness

Post by jonmanness » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:41 am

I think I've always had 1.2.3 flashed on my Matriarch, but I gotta say, I went down to 1.1.0 and the response and articulation is SO much better. Moog should absolutely fix 1.2.3, but I'm not going to let buggy firmware prevent me from enjoying the sound of this synth.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:45 am

I also finally reverted to a playable firmware.
But it's so frustrating, as the additions of 1.2.3 are very nice.
And I just can't believe how much Moog support sucks. They simply don't reply. And when I pick up the phone to call them 10000km from home, that act in a very condescending way...

ieounas

Post by ieounas » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:35 pm

I just got my Matriarch. I am quite musical so I need perfect response from the keyboard. I found it totally unplayable in paraphonic mode. It was sluggish and I couldn't do fast nice crispy runs and chords.. I have had a Behringer Poly D before this and the matriarch didn't play nearly as well.. So I figured.. I try to downgrade to firmware 1.1.0. Lo and behold! The synth played perfectly and responded as well as it could. Even other bugs reported like stuck notes and filter go crazy wasn't there. It just felt less buggy and much more stable when playing advanced and fast. I just tell you: moog team knew what they did when they did this synth and it is perfect. But with firmware over 1.10 I would exchange it for my former Behringer no time, it just isn't playable in paraphonic mode.

The thing I miss most from newer firmware is the hold / latch / note. It only latches arps and seqs now. But man what a beautiful synth and how responsive with the fatal keyed.. I do not exaggerate. I think moog has messed up the later firmwares. Just comparing file size 800 kb vs 3 mb tells me that the newer firmware is unnecessary complex and introduce many errors. IMHO. I think moog definitely needs to hire good musicians (not only patch-tweakers) that would react to such errors immediately and stop it. But hey.. the synth is not about the digital side / the firmware. Firmware 1.1.0 sounds as good! So just revert and be happy is my advice.. (note: you also miss the editor function since param changes via sysex was introduced later). I feel I don't miss something real out. Do you know any important changes since 1.1.0 that really are ESSENTIAL (I haven't discovered them yet),

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:19 am

In my case, MIDI control of the 'Globals' is real a game changer. I made an editor on Max For Live, that allows to automatically load all the correct settings (round-robin mode, voice allocation reset mode, etc...) with the song.
Doing this from the synth takes so much time. Figure out where I put the manual, enter Global mode, bleep it up, reset Globals, make changes, etc....
I've been keeping the synth because I absolutely love the sound and the interface, just in hope that they would fix what they broke.
Please, contact the support !

ieounas

Post by ieounas » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:09 pm

Just want to add one thing more.. In order to play really flawless and beautifully in mode 4 (paraphonic) - do not use multi trig. There are some subtle bugs that is not compatible with paraphonic. However multi trig works well in monophonic mode. Another one is the restore stolen note - 4.5 in global settings. Set this to on. Then it plays really nice.. The hardware in the synth is impeccable. I don't care so much for the small improvements of firmware - best would be no firmware at all for my part ;-) Complexity and bugs rises with digital stuff. However I do miss the note latch on hold..
All that being said, I can understand some who use the synth more as patch tool and do cool soundscapes etc. and don't play much with keyboard. I use it mainly for pads and polyphonic playing so response is very important to me.

ieounas

Post by ieounas » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:17 pm

In my case, MIDI control of the 'Globals' is real a game changer. I made an editor on Max For Live, that allows to automatically load all the correct settings (round-robin mode, voice allocation reset mode, etc...) with the song.
Doing this from the synth takes so much time. Figure out where I put the manual, enter Global mode, bleep it up, reset Globals, make changes, etc....
I've been keeping the synth because I absolutely love the sound and the interface, just in hope that they would fix what they broke.
Please, contact the support !
In my case I don't need to go into global settings very often. When I am happy with it I can let it be. Thus I have less need for an editor. I also have two grandmas that plays perfectly with test firmware and for those I change it with https://marcora.github.io/grandmother-editor/ . I agree it is more comfortable than the keys.. There are also a similar one for Matriarch (that I cannot use as it is now with firmware 1.1.0). I downloaded those webpages locally so I don't have to be on the GitHub page every time.. (tip!)

Yes I agree.. Hope moog soon fix this in new firmware and at least let the user decide the time out ms for the poly-play. And we have their word that they will fix it soon!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:59 pm

English is not my native language, but this means that it's not fixed, right ?

KNOWN OUTSTANDING ISSUES AS OF V1.3.0:
• Global: Delay Sync CV Bend - Can be stepped/quantized when it should be smooth and continuous.
• Global: Keyed Timing Reset - Does not work while HOLD is active.
• Global: Sequence Keyed Restart - Seems to have no effect.
• Global: Sequence Random Repeat - Seems to have no effect.
• Global: Load Default Settings - After performing this command, global mode acts like A#3 is constantly being held down. Globals don’t work again until power cycle.
• Send Program Change - Seems to have no effect.
• Paraphonic Mixer Gate Length - Mixer gate can stay high longer than keys are pressed.
• ARP sends Sustain CC while Hold is active - HOLD should send sustain CC when Arp/Seq is inactive.

jonmanness

Post by jonmanness » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:53 pm

Correct. I just flashed 1.3 and went back to 1.1. Such a bummer.